1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linear algebra, isomorphism

1. Oct 27, 2011 #1
    Information:
    The vector-space [itex]\mathcal{F}([0,\pi],\mathbb{R})[/itex] consists of all real functions on [itex][0,\pi][/itex]. We let [itex]W[/itex] be its subspace with the basis [itex]\mathcal{B}[/itex] = {[itex]1,cost,cos(2t),cos(3t),...,cos(7t)[/itex]}.

[itex]T: W \rightarrow \mathbb{R} ^8[/itex] is the transformation where: [itex]T(h) = (h(t_1), h(t_2),...,h(t_8))[/itex], [itex]h \in W[/itex] and [itex]t_i = (\pi(2i-1))/16[/itex] , [itex]i\in[/itex]{[itex]1,2,...8[/itex]}

The call the standard basis for [itex]\mathbb{R} ^8[/itex] for [itex]\mathcal{C}[/itex]. The change-of-coordinates matrix of [itex]T[/itex] from [itex]\mathcal{B}[/itex] to [itex]\mathcal{C}[/itex] is an invertibel matrix we call [itex]M[/itex].

My question is how I can show that [itex]T[/itex] is an isomorphism. I know that this means that [itex]T[/itex] must be a invertibel linear transformation, but how do I show this? Does it have anything to do with the fact that the change-of-coordinates matrix [itex]M[/itex] is invertibel, and how?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 27, 2011 #2

I like Serena

Homework Helper

Hi atlantic! :smile:

Doesn't Fourier guarantee a unique discrete transform between 8 points and 8 amplitudes on the cosine basis limited to the interval [0,pi]?

4. Oct 28, 2011 #3
    But how do I prove this using the given information?

5. Oct 28, 2011 #4

I like Serena

Homework Helper

You need to show that T is a bijection that conserves multiplication.

I haven't worked it out yet, but the Fourier series gives a bijection between h(ti) in ℝ8 and an in ℝ8 which are the coefficients of the cosines:
    [tex]a_n = \sum_{i=1}^8 h(t_i) \cos n t_i[/tex]
    I think it identifies your matrix M.

6. Oct 28, 2011 #5
    Bijection is not covered in my course:frown: Is there not any other way to make the proof?

7. Oct 28, 2011 #6

I like Serena

Homework Helper

I believe invertible linear transformation covers it.
    If you can find an invertible transformation matrix M that does the job between B and C, it is trivial that it is a bijection.

And I just checked and it turns out that for vector spaces to be isomorphic you do not need conservation of multiplication (actually that is implicit since they are linear).

Last edited: Oct 28, 2011
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook