1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linear Algebra - Jordan forms

1. Aug 22, 2008 #1

daniel_i_l

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    V is a unitarian space of finite dimensions and T:V->V is a linear transformation.
    Every eigenvector of T is an eigenvector of T* (where (Tv,u) = (v,T*u) for all u and v in V).
    Prove that T(T*) = (T*)T.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    First of all, since the space in unitarian both T and T* can be expressed as a jordan matrix. It's easy to show that if J is the jordan matrix of T then [tex]\bar{J}[/tex] is the jordan matrix of T*. My idea is that since every eigenvector of T is an eigenvector of T* then there exists some base of V where T is expressed as J and T* is expressed as [tex]\bar{J}[/tex]. If that where true than it would be easy to answer the question
    (Since then there would be a matrix M to that [tex] [T] = M^{-1}JM [/tex] ,
    [tex][T^{*}] = M^{-1} \bar{J} M [/tex] and then
    [tex] [T^{*}][T] = M^{-1} \bar{J} M M^{-1} J M = M^{-1} \bar{J} J M =
    J M^{-1} \bar{J} M = [T][T^{*}] [/tex]
    but I can't prove that such a base exists. In all the examples I've tried there's a base like that.
    Is this the right direction? If so, how do I prove that a base exists?
    Is there a better way to approach the problem?
    Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 22, 2008 #2

morphism

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Could you clarify what you mean by a unitarian space?

4. Aug 23, 2008 #3

daniel_i_l

Gold Member

A unitarian space is a vector space over the complex field with a defined inner-product.

5. Aug 27, 2008 #4

morphism

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

In that case it would be better to use Schur decomposition rather than Jordan decomposition. That is, get a unitary matrix U such that U*TU is upper triangular. Note that T commutes with T* iff U*TU commutes with (U*TU)*=U*T*U. Moreover, note that x is an eigenvector of T iff U*x is an eigenvector of U*TU. Thus we may assume without loss of generality that T itself is upper triangular. In this case T has (1,0,..,0) as an eigenvector. Consequently, so does T*. Proceed inductively to conclude that T must be diagonal. (We've essentially 'chopped off' the upper left corners of both T and T*.)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?