1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linear Algebra-Linear Spaces

1. Nov 3, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Are the 3X3 matrices A such that vector <1,2,3> is in the kernel of A, a subspace of R^(3X3)?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I know that the kernel condition gives a subset V={A|A*<1,2,3>=0} but im not sure of how to proceed to show it is in fact a subspace. Should I try to see if it spans or use the definition of a subspace? i'm just confused on how to proceed with the next step

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 3, 2009 #2
    To show that it's a subspace, you have to show that if it contains u and v, then it contains au + bv where a and b are scalars, that it contains 0 and that it contains -u for any u that it contains.

4. Nov 3, 2009 #3

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

To expand slightly on what aPhilosopher said, let U and W be matrices in your subset V. It's sufficient to show that aU + bW is also in the same subset, for any scalars a and b.

Showing that the subset contains the zero matrix corresponds to a = b = 0. Showing that -U is in the subset corresponds to a = -1 and b = 0.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook