Linear algebra/matlab: find vector when e2 is reflected over line B with x-axis

In summary, the conversation is about finding a matrix A that, when multiplied by a matrix representing a rectangle in homogenous coordinates, will reflect the rectangle about a line through the origin at an angle of beta with the x-axis. The forum user's initial attempt at a solution involved a rotation matrix rather than a reflection matrix, and the expert suggests using the formula P' = P - 2(P dot n)n to create a reflection matrix A.
RossH

Homework Statement

The assignment is to find a matrix, A, that multiplied by a matrix that represents a rectangle will reflect that rectangle about a line through the origin that is at and beta with the x axis. This is all in homogenous coordinates.

Homework Equations

Elementary vectors: e1 is <1,0, ... 0> e2 is <0,1,0 ...> etc.
No others.

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought that the matrix might be: (I hope this formats correctly)
cos(2B) sin(2B) 0
sin(2B) -cos(2B) 0
0 0 1
But when I use this in Matlab, it seems to rotate the rectangle represented by my first matrix in 3 dimensions, rather than reflect it in two dimensions. So right now I am left trying to remake the matrix.

I am trying to figure out the transformation applied to the elementary vectors. When the elementary vector e1 is reflected, that gives me the transformation vector <cos2B,sin2B>
but I am having a lot of trouble figuring out the same vector when e2 is reflected. Any ideas? Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your post. It seems like you are on the right track with your initial attempt at a solution. However, I believe the issue may lie in the fact that your matrix is representing a rotation rather than a reflection.

To reflect a point or vector about a line through the origin, we can use the formula:

P' = P - 2(P dot n)n

where P is the original point or vector, P' is the reflected point or vector, and n is the unit normal vector to the reflection line.

In your case, the line is at an angle of beta with the x-axis, so the unit normal vector would be:

n = <cos(beta), sin(beta)>

Using this formula, we can create a reflection matrix A that will reflect any point or vector about this line. It would look like:

A = I - 2nn^T

where I is the identity matrix and T represents the transpose operation.

I hope this helps and please let me know if you have any further questions or need clarification.

1. How do I find the vector when e2 is reflected over line B with x-axis using linear algebra?

In order to find the vector when e2 is reflected over line B with x-axis, you can use the reflection matrix. This matrix is defined as [1 0; 0 -1], where the first row represents the x-axis and the second row represents the y-axis. Simply multiply this matrix with the original vector e2 to get the reflected vector.

2. Can I use MATLAB to find the reflected vector in this scenario?

Yes, you can use MATLAB to find the reflected vector. MATLAB has built-in functions that allow you to perform linear algebra operations, such as matrix multiplication. You can also use the reflection matrix mentioned in the previous question to find the reflected vector.

3. What is the significance of reflecting a vector over a line with the x-axis?

Reflecting a vector over a line with the x-axis can help in visualizing and analyzing the geometry of the vector. It can also be used in various applications, such as in computer graphics and image processing, to manipulate and transform objects.

4. Can I reflect a vector over a line other than the x-axis using linear algebra?

Yes, you can reflect a vector over any line using linear algebra. You would need to define the reflection matrix according to the line you want to reflect over. For example, to reflect over a line with slope m, the reflection matrix would be [1-2m^2, 2m; 2m, m^2-1].

5. Are there any other methods to find the reflected vector besides using linear algebra?

Yes, there are other methods to find the reflected vector. One method is to use the dot product between the vector and the unit normal vector of the line you want to reflect over. Another method is to use the rotation matrix, which involves rotating the vector by 180 degrees around the line of reflection.