1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linear Algebra Money Question

1. Sep 14, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I have 32 bills in my wallet in the denominations $1, $5, and $10, worth $100 in total. How many of each denomination do I have?

2. Relevant equations

A= # $1 bills
    B= # $5 bills
    C= # $10 bills

A+B+C = 32
    1A+5B+10C = 100

3. The attempt at a solution

So I attempted to solve for C in terms of A and B in terms of A but I'm getting nowhere.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 14, 2012 #2
    Hi bleedblue1234,

You can only solve for n variables when you have n linearly independent equations. In this case, you have 3 variables and 2 linearly independent equations, so you're one equation short.

But if you choose a value of zero for A, B or C then you reduce the problem to 2 variables and 2 linearly independent equations. What do you get when you try out the different combinations?

Be careful: There is more than one solution.

4. Sep 14, 2012 #3
    You can narrow the selection.
    $1 can only be in a group of 5.

5. Sep 14, 2012 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

This not, strictly speaking, a "linear algebra" problem, but a "Diophantine equation" because the "number of bills" of each denomination must be integer. Letting "O", "F", and "T" be, respectively, the number of "ones", "fives" and "tens", we must have O+ F+ T= 32 and O+ 5F+ 10T= 100. Subtracting the first equation from the second, 4F+ 9T= 68.
    Now you can use the standard "Eucidean algorithm" to find all possible integer values for F and T and then find O.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2012
  6. Sep 14, 2012 #5

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You can solve for A and B in terms of C, just by solving the two simple equations
    A + B = 32 - C
    A + 5C = 100 - 10C.

Now you can plug in C = 0, 1, 2, ... and see which values (if any) give you non-negative integer values of A and B.

RGV

7. Sep 14, 2012 #6

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Oh, well- if you want to do it the easy way!

8. Sep 14, 2012 #7
    Ya I just set the equations equal and restricted B and C to be natural numbers and just checked which B would give me the correct C, which in tern gave me the correct A. Thank you.

9. Sep 14, 2012 #8
    Be careful with that. Most people (in my experience) define the natural numbers as N = {1, 2, 3, ...} which doesn't include zero. So if you're restricting B and C to natural numbers, as defined above, you may be cheating yourself out of a solution. As I mentioned earlier, there is more than one solution.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook