1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linear Algebra: Norm Help!

1. Apr 28, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I'm stuck on this review problem for our final:

The projection of X onto (a,b) = (a,b)
    X is orthogonal to (-a,b)
    Describe the norm of X in terms of a and b.

3. The attempt at a solution

I drew everything out on a Cartesian system, with the vector X being perpendicular to (-a,b) and then draw the projection of (a,b). I saw that since X is orthogonal to (a,b) it would have a slope of a/b and then attempted to use (y-y1)=m(x-x1) but that failed.
    I really have no idea how to solve this and would greatly appreciate any help. Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 28, 2008 #2

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Forget about writing down an equation of the line that is parallel to [itex]\vec{x}[/itex].

Instead let [itex]\vec{x}=(x_1,x_2)[/itex]. Your goal is to write down a 2 by 2 system of equations in [itex]x_1[/itex] and [itex]x_2[/itex] with coefficients in terms of [itex]a[/itex] and [itex]b[/itex].

And what does that mean, mathematically? This will give you one of the 2 equations that you need.

Same question: What does that mean, mathematically? This will give you the other of the 2 equations that you need.

Once you have a 2 by 2 system of equations for the components of [itex]\vec{x}[/itex], you can compute its norm.

4. Apr 28, 2008 #3
    Using the projection formula I get [(ax1+bx2)/(a^2+b^2)]*(a,b)=(a,b) so therefore x1=a and x2=b so you get 1*(a,b)=(a,b)

Here I get -ax1+bx2=0 which I rearrange to bx2+ax1

Then I get X=SqRt(a^2+b^2) but I don't think this is right.
    Can anyone point out where I'm making an error?

5. Apr 28, 2008 #4

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yes.

No. You have to find the solution that satisfies both equations. The solution you wrote down only satisfies one of them.

You mean [itex]bx_2=ax_1[/itex], which is correct. Now solve that equation for either [itex]x_1[/itex] or [itex]x_2[/itex] (your choice), and plug the result into the other equation.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?