How can I find the norm of X in terms of a and b when X is orthogonal to (-a,b)?

In summary, the norm of X can be described as the square root of the sum of the squares of a and b. To find the norm, a 2 by 2 system of equations can be set up using the projection of X onto (a,b) and the orthogonality of X to (-a,b). Solving for either x1 or x2 and plugging it into the other equation will give the solution for the norm.
himynameismar

Homework Statement

I'm stuck on this review problem for our final:

The projection of X onto (a,b) = (a,b)
X is orthogonal to (-a,b)
Describe the norm of X in terms of a and b.

The Attempt at a Solution

I drew everything out on a Cartesian system, with the vector X being perpendicular to (-a,b) and then draw the projection of (a,b). I saw that since X is orthogonal to (a,b) it would have a slope of a/b and then attempted to use (y-y1)=m(x-x1) but that failed.
I really have no idea how to solve this and would greatly appreciate any help. Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Forget about writing down an equation of the line that is parallel to [itex]\vec{x}[/itex].

Instead let [itex]\vec{x}=(x_1,x_2)[/itex]. Your goal is to write down a 2 by 2 system of equations in [itex]x_1[/itex] and [itex]x_2[/itex] with coefficients in terms of [itex]a[/itex] and [itex]b[/itex].

himynameismar said:
The projection of X onto (a,b) = (a,b)

And what does that mean, mathematically? This will give you one of the 2 equations that you need.

X is orthogonal to (-a,b)

Same question: What does that mean, mathematically? This will give you the other of the 2 equations that you need.

Once you have a 2 by 2 system of equations for the components of [itex]\vec{x}[/itex], you can compute its norm.

Tom Mattson said:
Forget about writing down an equation of the line that is parallel to [itex]\vec{x}[/itex].

Instead let [itex]\vec{x}=(x_1,x_2)[/itex]. Your goal is to write down a 2 by 2 system of equations in [itex]x_1[/itex] and [itex]x_2[/itex] with coefficients in terms of [itex]a[/itex] and [itex]b[/itex].

And what does that mean, mathematically? This will give you one of the 2 equations that you need.

Using the projection formula I get [(ax1+bx2)/(a^2+b^2)]*(a,b)=(a,b) so therefore x1=a and x2=b so you get 1*(a,b)=(a,b)

Same question: What does that mean, mathematically? This will give you the other of the 2 equations that you need.

Here I get -ax1+bx2=0 which I rearrange to bx2+ax1

Once you have a 2 by 2 system of equations for the components of [itex]\vec{x}[/itex], you can compute its norm.

Then I get X=SqRt(a^2+b^2) but I don't think this is right.
Can anyone point out where I'm making an error?

himynameismar said:
Using the projection formula I get [(ax1+bx2)/(a^2+b^2)]*(a,b)=(a,b)

Yes.

so therefore x1=a and x2=b so you get 1*(a,b)=(a,b)

No. You have to find the solution that satisfies both equations. The solution you wrote down only satisfies one of them.

Here I get -ax1+bx2=0 which I rearrange to bx2+ax1

You mean [itex]bx_2=ax_1[/itex], which is correct. Now solve that equation for either [itex]x_1[/itex] or [itex]x_2[/itex] (your choice), and plug the result into the other equation.

1. What is a norm in linear algebra?

A norm in linear algebra is a function that assigns a positive length or size to a vector in a vector space. It measures the distance of a vector from the origin of the vector space.

2. What are the properties of a norm?

A norm must satisfy three properties: positivity, homogeneity, and triangle inequality. Positivity means that the length of a vector cannot be negative. Homogeneity means that multiplying a vector by a scalar will also multiply its norm by the absolute value of that scalar. Triangle inequality means that the length of the sum of two vectors is less than or equal to the sum of the lengths of the individual vectors.

3. How is a norm calculated?

A norm is calculated by taking the square root of the sum of the squares of the individual components of a vector. This is also known as the Euclidean norm or the 2-norm.

4. What is the purpose of a norm in linear algebra?

A norm is used to measure the size or distance of a vector in a vector space. It is also used to define important concepts such as convergence, continuity, and orthogonality in linear algebra.

5. What are some common types of norms?

Some common types of norms include the Euclidean norm, the Manhattan norm, and the Chebyshev norm. These are all different ways of measuring the distance or size of a vector in a vector space and are useful in different contexts.