• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Linear Algebra: Norm Vector

• Thread starter LeakyFrog
  • Start date
Hello, I am studying for an exam in Linear Algebra. My teacher gave us an outline of things that we need to know and one of them is this:

Find the norm of a vector v in n-dimensional space. Use it to find a unit vector in the same direction as v.

I was just hoping someone might be able to explain what exactly that means. I understand what a unit vector is but I'm a little hazy on the rest. Such as what exactly is a normal vector to another vector? Is that simply a vector that is perpendicular to the other? Any help would be awesome.

Answers and Replies

Not normal, norm. They are two different things. In n-dimensional space, the most common norm is the square root of the inner product, or dot product. It gives a concept of length to a vector. How would you use a vector's length to find a unit vector in the same direction?

Dude thank you soooo much for clearing that up. Makes perfect sense now. And I learned what norm means. F' Yeah!

HallsofIvy
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
I was kind of worried! Reviewing for a test in linear algebra and did not know what the "norm" of vector was? But I can see confusing "norm" and "normal".