1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linear algebra - notation?

1. Dec 30, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I have a basis T and the elementary basis E in R^3 spanned by [e_1, e_2, e_3]. I am asked to find the matrix with respect to T and E.

1) Are they asking me to find the transition-matrix from T to E? If yes, then this is just the vectors that span T.

2) Or are they asking me to express T in terms of E, as in take L(T_1), L(T_2) and L(T_3) (L is my linear transformation) and express the result in terms of E - this result containts the columns for my matrix?

I am a little confused about this. I thought I could use B = U^(-1) * A * U, but apparently not?

I guess what I'm asking is - what is the difference between "the matrix with respect to the bases T and E" and "the transition matrix from T to E"?

Last edited: Dec 30, 2007
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted