Linear Algebra: Finding the Matrix from One Basis to Another

In summary, the conversation discusses finding a matrix with respect to bases T and E in R^3. The difference between the matrix with respect to the bases and the transition matrix from T to E is clarified. The individual is unsure of what their task is and asks for clarification.
Niles

Homework Statement

I have a basis T and the elementary basis E in R^3 spanned by [e_1, e_2, e_3]. I am asked to find the matrix with respect to T and E.

1) Are they asking me to find the transition-matrix from T to E? If yes, then this is just the vectors that span T.

2) Or are they asking me to express T in terms of E, as in take L(T_1), L(T_2) and L(T_3) (L is my linear transformation) and express the result in terms of E - this result containts the columns for my matrix?

I am a little confused about this. I thought I could use B = U^(-1) * A * U, but apparently not?

I guess what I'm asking is - what is the difference between "the matrix with respect to the bases T and E" and "the transition matrix from T to E"?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Homework Equations The Attempt at a SolutionI don't really have any attempts at a solution as I'm not sure what I'm trying to do.

1. What is the purpose of using notation in linear algebra?

The purpose of using notation in linear algebra is to provide a compact and efficient way to represent mathematical concepts and operations. It allows for easier understanding and communication of complex ideas and equations.

2. What are the common symbols used in linear algebra notation?

Some common symbols used in linear algebra notation include vectors (represented by lowercase letters), matrices (represented by uppercase letters), and mathematical operations such as addition (+), multiplication (*), and transpose (T).

3. How is matrix multiplication represented in linear algebra notation?

Matrix multiplication in linear algebra is represented by the asterisk symbol (*). For example, if A and B are matrices, their product would be represented as A * B.

4. How do subscripts and superscripts play a role in linear algebra notation?

Subscripts and superscripts are used in linear algebra notation to denote specific elements in a vector or matrix. For example, the element in the first row and second column of a matrix A would be represented by A1,2.

5. What is the significance of the equal sign in linear algebra notation?

In linear algebra, the equal sign (=) is used to denote that two expressions or equations are equal to each other. This allows us to solve for unknown variables and find solutions to linear equations and systems.