Comparing Matrices: Understanding Notation and Inequalities

In summary, The question is asking how to compare two n x n symmetric matrices using the notation of <, <=, >, >=. The solution is to use the scalar multipliers e1 and e2 and show that 1/e2 * I </= Q^-1 </= 1/e1 *I by using the fact that A<=B means that (B-A) is positive semi-definite. The epsilons are assumed to be scalar multipliers and the notation of <= is commonly understood to mean "less than or equal to" and >= to mean "greater than or equal to."
dlh81
I am having an issue with a problem, but mostly because I am confused by the notation. This is the question:

If Q is an n x n symmetric matrix and e1, e2 (e is epsilon) are such that
0 < e1*I </= Q </= e2*I

show that

1/e2 * I </= Q^-1 </= 1/e1 *I

( </= is less or equal to)

My question is how can a matrix be compared with another matrix in a quantitative manner (less than, less or equal to, greater than, etc.) I am familiar with norms or determinants being compared that way since they are a scalar, but how would n x n matricies be compared this way? Any suggestions?

Also I am assuming that the epsilons are scalar multipliers. The book I am using does not do a good job of clarifying this notation, but that is all I can imagine it would be.

Physics news on Phys.org
A<=B means that (B-A) is positive semi-definite. Of course this makes sense only when A, B are hermitian matrixes.

On a side note, <= is widely understood to mean "less than or equal to" and >= is understood to mean "greater than or equal to."

1. What is linear algebra notation?

Linear algebra notation is a mathematical system used to represent and manipulate vector spaces and linear transformations. It typically involves using letters, numbers, and symbols to represent variables, constants, and operations.

2. Why is linear algebra notation important?

Linear algebra notation is important because it allows us to express complex mathematical concepts in a concise and consistent manner. It also helps us to solve problems and perform calculations more efficiently.

3. What are some common symbols used in linear algebra notation?

Some common symbols used in linear algebra notation include vectors (represented by arrows), matrices (represented by capital letters), scalars (represented by lowercase letters), and operations such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division.

4. Can linear algebra notation be used in other fields besides mathematics?

Yes, linear algebra notation can be used in various fields, including physics, engineering, computer science, and economics. It is a powerful tool for solving problems and analyzing data in these fields.

5. How can I improve my understanding of linear algebra notation?

To improve your understanding of linear algebra notation, it is important to practice using it in different contexts and to seek out additional resources such as textbooks, online tutorials, and practice problems. It may also be helpful to work with a tutor or join a study group to discuss and clarify any confusing concepts.