1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linear algebra, planes, vectors help please

1. Mar 14, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find equation of plan H in R^4 that contains the point P= (2,-1,10,6)
    and is parallel to plain H2: 4a +4b + 5c-6d = 3 then answer the following questions:
    A. find normalized normal of plane H which has an angle theta with the normal n= (4,4,5,-6) of H2 such that cos(theta) >0

B.Find the distance from (2,2,-1,-2) to the plane H

2. Relevant equations
    0 = n1(a-p1) + n2(b-p2) + n3(c-p3) + n4(d-p4)

3. The attempt at a solution

So for part A:
    I know that if they are parallel then the normal of H2 equals to some constant k times normal of H

N2 = kN
    and I believe I found equation for H:
    0 = n1(a-2) + n2(b+1) + n3(c-10) + n4(d-6)
    I just do not know where to go from there

Part B

d(x,y) ||y-x||
    Does this apply to planes?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 14, 2014 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Since you're given plane H2 as 4a + 4b + 5c - 6d = 3, you should be able to write the coordinates of a normal to this plane by nothing more than inspection.

N = <?, ?, ?, ?>
    Just put in the coordinates of the normal, and you're done.
    There's a formula for the distance between two points in R4.

4. Mar 14, 2014 #3
    Thank you for your reply! Yes by inspection the Normal for H2 is (4,4,5,-6), but does that mean that H and H2 have the same normal since they are parallel?

Also, what is the equation for distance between two points in R4?
    Thanks again!

5. Mar 15, 2014 #4

Mark44

Yes, sort of. The same vector will be normal to both planes, but the two vectors don't have to be equal - one could be a scalar multiple of the other.
    If A = (a1, a2, a3, a4) and B = (b1, b2, b3, b4) are two points in R4, then ##d(A, B) = \sqrt{ (a_1 - b_1)^2 + (a_2 - b_2)^2 + (a_3 - b_3)^2 + (a_4 - b_4)^2}##

6. Mar 15, 2014 #5
    Okay so H and H2 have same norm of (4,4,5,-6)?
    What then is the "normalized norm n of the plane"?

7. Mar 15, 2014 #6

Mark44

You should not use "norm" to talk about the normal to a plane. The term "norm" is used for something entirely different, and is something like the distance between two things.

I didn't say that H and H2 have the same normal. For example, I can see that the plane x + 2y - 4z = 0 has <1, 2, -4> as a normal. I can also see by inspection, that the plane 2x + 4y - 8z = 3 has <2, 4, -8> as a normal, but the latter vector is just a scalar multiple of the first. Any two vectors that are normal to these planes have to be scalar multiples of each other.
    Make that "normalized normal." A normalized vector is one whose length is 1.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted