1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linear Algebra Problem #3

1. Jun 30, 2008 #1
    Here we go again.:redface:

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Let S be any nxn strictly upper triangular matrix; prove that [tex]S^n=0[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

Alright so I know that if c_ij is an entry in a strictly upper triangular matrix, then [tex]c_{ij}= 0, \ i>j[/tex]

I'll add more in a minute:smile:
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 30, 2008 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Is this another one of those questions where you understand exactly why it's true, but can't phrase it in the form of a proof? Because it is pretty obvious why it's true. Just write down a strictly upper triangular matrix and start taking powers of it. See what happens??
  4. Jun 30, 2008 #3

Homework Helper

I think the problem is with formalising it into matrix entry subscript notation. I can see why it holds: Over time throughout repeated multiplication the non-zero entries of the matrix retreats into the top right hand corner and then finally becomes zero.

I've written out the matrix entries for an arbitrary c_{ij} after multiplying matrices by 3 times and I'm beginning to see nested summation series which I can't quite simplify.

PS. I know this is Saladsamurai's problem and not mine, but I'm curious as to how to prove it formally.
  5. Jun 30, 2008 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

[tex](c^n)_{ij}=c_{i,k_1}*c_{k_1,k_2}*c_{k_2,k_3}*...c_{k_{n-2},k_{n-1}}*c_{k_{n-1},j}[/tex]. All of the k indices summed over. What condition must be true for that to be nonzero? Hey, what ever happened to your electric flux problem? It's not THAT hard.
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2008
  6. Jul 1, 2008 #5
    Alternatively, note that the only eigenvalue is 0. Thinking of this matrix as an operator on an n-dimensional vector space V, we must have V = dim null S^(dim V) = dim null S^n, the set of all generalized eigenvectors. So S^n = 0.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?