Linear Algebra Problem #3: Proving S^n=0 for Strictly Upper Triangular Matrix

In summary, To prove that any nxn strictly upper triangular matrix S^n=0, it is necessary to show that all the entries of the matrix become zero after repeated multiplication, which can be done by proving that the only eigenvalue of the matrix is 0. This can be shown by thinking of the matrix as an operator on an n-dimensional vector space and using the fact that the dimension of the null space of S^(dim V) is equal to the dimension of the null space of S^n.
Saladsamurai
Here we go again.:redface:

Homework Statement

Let S be any nxn strictly upper triangular matrix; prove that [tex]S^n=0[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Alright so I know that if c_ij is an entry in a strictly upper triangular matrix, then [tex]c_{ij}= 0, \ i>j[/tex]

I'll add more in a minute:smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
Is this another one of those questions where you understand exactly why it's true, but can't phrase it in the form of a proof? Because it is pretty obvious why it's true. Just write down a strictly upper triangular matrix and start taking powers of it. See what happens??

I think the problem is with formalising it into matrix entry subscript notation. I can see why it holds: Over time throughout repeated multiplication the non-zero entries of the matrix retreats into the top right hand corner and then finally becomes zero.

I've written out the matrix entries for an arbitrary c_{ij} after multiplying matrices by 3 times and I'm beginning to see nested summation series which I can't quite simplify.

PS. I know this is Saladsamurai's problem and not mine, but I'm curious as to how to prove it formally.

[tex](c^n)_{ij}=c_{i,k_1}*c_{k_1,k_2}*c_{k_2,k_3}*...c_{k_{n-2},k_{n-1}}*c_{k_{n-1},j}[/tex]. All of the k indices summed over. What condition must be true for that to be nonzero? Hey, what ever happened to your electric flux problem? It's not THAT hard.

Last edited:
Alternatively, note that the only eigenvalue is 0. Thinking of this matrix as an operator on an n-dimensional vector space V, we must have V = dim null S^(dim V) = dim null S^n, the set of all generalized eigenvectors. So S^n = 0.

1. What is linear algebra?

Linear algebra is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of linear equations, vectors, matrices, and linear transformations. It is used to solve problems involving systems of linear equations and to analyze geometric shapes.

2. What is "Linear Algebra Problem #3"?

"Linear Algebra Problem #3" is a specific problem that involves solving a system of linear equations or performing operations with matrices and vectors.

3. What are the main concepts in "Linear Algebra Problem #3"?

The main concepts in "Linear Algebra Problem #3" are systems of linear equations, matrices, vectors, and operations such as addition, subtraction, and multiplication.

4. What are the applications of linear algebra?

Linear algebra has many applications in various fields such as physics, engineering, computer science, economics, and statistics. It is used to model and solve problems involving linear relationships, such as in optimization, data analysis, and image processing.

5. How can I improve my skills in linear algebra?

To improve your skills in linear algebra, it is important to practice solving problems and understanding the concepts involved. You can also read textbooks, watch online lectures, or join study groups to enhance your understanding of the subject.