Linear algebra problem (standard matrix for a linear operator)

In summary: Now do this: See if you can write the matrix equation that LCKurtz and Halls wrote in terms of the components of ##x,y,z##. You should get three linear equations in three variables.
Tsunami317

Homework Statement

Determine the standard matrix for the linear operator defined by the formula below:
T(x, y, z) = (x-y, y+2z, 2x+y+z)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

No idea

Physics news on Phys.org
I guess the first question is why you have no idea how to do this problem! Are you taking as course in linear algebra? Do you know how to multiply matrices?

Hopefully, at least you know that, because this T is applied to a 3 component vector and the result is a 3 component vector, T will be represented by a 3 by 3 matrix.

And, you should know that applying T to a vector <x, y, z> is the same as the matrix multiplication
[tex]\begin{bmatrix}a & b & c \\ d & e & f \\ g & h & i\end{bmatrix}\begin{bmatrix}x \\ y \\z \end{bmatrix}[/tex]

Because they say the "standard" matrix, they want you to use the "standard" basis, <1, 0, 0>, <0, 1, 0>, and <0, 0, 1>. What do you get when you multiply the matrix above by each of those?

You are told that T(x, y, z) = (x-y, y+2z, 2x+y+z). What is T(1, 0, 0)? What is T(0, 1, 0)? What is T(0, 0, 1)?

Compare those with the result of multiplying the matrix.

So the answer would be
[x-y 0 0
0 y+2z 0
0 0 2x+y+z]
?
or is the answer
[x-y
y+2x
2x+y+z]
I understand how to multiply matrices, but now this looks backward to me. Yes I am taking a distance learning class and there is no professor, just me reading a textbook which has terminology that rarely matches up with the sparse classnotes, let alone what I can google, and watching hundreds of hours of Khan Academy.

And thank you for your help!

HallsofIvy said:
Because they say the "standard" matrix, they want you to use the "standard" basis, <1, 0, 0>, <0, 1, 0>, and <0, 0, 1>. What do you get when you multiply the matrix above by each of those?

You are told that T(x, y, z) = (x-y, y+2z, 2x+y+z). What is T(1, 0, 0)? What is T(0, 1, 0)? What is T(0, 0, 1)?

Compare those with the result of multiplying the matrix.

Tsunami317 said:
So the answer would be
[x-y 0 0
0 y+2z 0
0 0 2x+y+z]
?
or is the answer
[x-y
y+2x
2x+y+z]

No. It might help if you actually answer the questions Halls asked you above. Those answers might lead you to the solution.

I tried to multiply the matrix
1 0 0
0 1 0
0 0 1
by the vectors given but I got this
[x-y
y+2x
2x+y+z]
Doesn't make sense

HallsofIvy and LCKurtz already provided great hints, I will repeat what they told you in other words:

You need to find a matrix A so that: A(x,y,z)=(x-y, y+2z, 2x+y+z)

It is important to understand the relationship between [linear] transformation and its "representative matrix", to be able to solve this problem.

With all the respect to Khan Academy I don't think it is the right place to learn linear algebra.
Try looking at: http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/mathematics/18-06-linear-algebra-spring-2010/
Prof. Gilbert Stran provides great lectures and excellent book.

Last edited:
Tsunami317 said:
I tried to multiply the matrix
1 0 0
0 1 0
0 0 1
by the vectors given but I got this
[x-y
y+2x
2x+y+z]
Doesn't make sense

Yes, it doesn't make sense, and it isn't what you were asked to do.

Halls asked you what you get when you multiply the matrix$$
\begin{bmatrix}a & b & c \\ d & e & f \\ g & h & i\end{bmatrix}$$and the three standard basis vectors which you would write as the matrices$$
\begin{bmatrix}1 \\0 \\ 0\end{bmatrix},\, \begin{bmatrix}0 \\ 1 \\0 \end{bmatrix}
,\, \begin{bmatrix}0 \\ 0 \\1 \end{bmatrix}$$What do you get when you multiply them? That is three different questions with three different answers, and there won't be any ##x,y,z## variables in the answer. Can you do that?

1. What is a linear operator?

A linear operator is a mathematical function that maps one vector space to another while preserving the linear structure and operations of the vector space.

2. What is a standard matrix for a linear operator?

A standard matrix for a linear operator is a matrix representation of a linear operator, where the columns of the matrix represent the images of the standard basis vectors for the input vector space.

3. How do you find the standard matrix for a linear operator?

To find the standard matrix for a linear operator, you can apply the linear operator to each of the standard basis vectors for the input vector space and then arrange the resulting vectors as columns in a matrix.

4. Why is the standard matrix for a linear operator useful?

The standard matrix for a linear operator is useful because it allows us to easily perform calculations involving the linear operator, such as finding its inverse or determining its eigenvalues and eigenvectors.

5. Can the standard matrix for a linear operator change?

Yes, the standard matrix for a linear operator can change depending on the basis chosen for the input and output vector spaces. However, the linear operator itself remains the same regardless of the chosen basis.