1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linear Algebra Problem

1. Feb 2, 2008 #1

hotvette

Homework Helper

I have a book that goes though a detailed development of the following:

[tex]\left[\begin{matrix}J^TJ & J^TV\\ VJ & D \end{matrix}\right]\left[\begin{matrix}p_1 \\ p_2\end{matrix}\right] = \left[\begin{matrix}J^Tr\\ Vr + Ds \end{matrix}\right][/tex]

where V and D are diagonal matrices and everything is known except [itex]p_1[/itex] and [itex]p_2[/itex].

Then it says "since the lower right submatrix D is diagonal, it is easy to eliminate [itex]p_2[/itex] from this system and obtain a smaller n x n system to be solved for [itex]p_1[/itex] alone." The implication is that it's so easy, explanation isn't needed. However, I don't see it.

Can someone explain how to eliminate [itex]p_2[/itex] given D is diagonal?

I've managed to come up with:

[tex][VJ(J^TJ)^{-1}J^TV - D]p_2 = VJ(J^TJ)^{-1}J^Tr - Vr - Ds[/tex]

but this seems far more complicated than what is implied and I don't see how D being diagonal simplifies anything.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 6, 2008 #2
    If [itex]D[/itex] is diagonal with non zero eigenvalues, then it has an inverse [itex]D^{-1}[/itex]. Thus from

[tex]V\,J\,p_1+D\,p_2=V\,r+D\,s[/tex]

you can solve for [itex]p_2[/itex], i.e.

[tex]p_2=D^{-1}\,(V\,r+D\,s)-D^{-1}\,V\,J\,p_1[/tex]

and use this to eliminate [itex]p_2[/itex] from the other equation.

4. Feb 6, 2008 #3

hotvette

Homework Helper

Thanks. I can't believe I didn't see it. So simple.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?