1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linear algebra problem

1. Jan 26, 2005 #1
    I am a bit confused with this problem:

Given AX = B, B != 0; X and Y satisfy the system. Find constants a and b such that aX + bY also satisfy the system.

The hint was: does (1/3)X+(2/3)Y work? Which would mean (1/3 + 2/3)(X + Y), which means X + Y. So, then I have X+Y as a potential solution, which is a solution? So, then does it mean that if a system has solutions, sum of those solutions is still a valid solution, but is any linear combination a solution? Then it would make a,b either such that a+b=1 or a,b any number.
    Could someone explain, please?

Thank you very much.
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 26, 2005 #2
    No, you mean (1/3)(X + 2Y), (1/3 + 2/3)(X + Y) isn't the same as X/3 + 2Y/3.
  4. Jan 26, 2005 #3
    Is there some extradata in the problem, like a relation between X and Y. Because if you don't have one you can prove that these constants exist
  5. Jan 26, 2005 #4
    Ooops, sorry you are right...basic algebra...
    I am still not clear if a system has several solutions, when combination of those solutions is a valid solution...if ever.

No, there is no extra info.
    But maybe if one of (a,b) is zero then it's possible?
  6. Jan 26, 2005 #5
    If X is solution and Y is solution, then X=cY where c is a constant. then

or: ((c+1)/2)*AY=B

By linearity:

then a=1/2 b=1/2
  7. Jan 26, 2005 #6
    That's always true? Is solution set a vector space?

Where does that follow from?

8. Jan 26, 2005 #7
    this condition is true if the X and the Y are lineary dependent, then there is unique solution, the X or the Y. and that's the problem. for that system, exist unique solution or infinite.

The expression comes from summing the eqs:

9. Jan 26, 2005 #8
    note the expression comes from summing the eqs i initially post. The eqs. i post latter is the reductions
  10. Jan 26, 2005 #9
    Z = aX + bY

AZ = B
    A(aX + bY) = B
    AaX + AbY = B
    a(Ax) + b(AY) = B
    aB + bB = B
    a + b = 1

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?