1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linear Algebra Problem

1. Oct 6, 2013 #1
    Hey guys, I'm having problems with a question.

Let P be an invertible matrix and assume that A = PMP[itex]^{-1}[/itex]. Where M is

M = [{3,1,0}{0,3,0}{0,0,2}]

Find a matrix B(t) such that e[itex]^{tA}[/itex] = PB(t)P[itex]^{-1}[/itex].

Now this might be an easy problem, but I really have no idea what to do because my lecturer is so bad and the book for the course doesn't cover this material.

I have seen something about A= PBP[itex]^{-1}[/itex] implying e[itex]^{tA}[/itex] = Pe[itex]^{tB}[/itex]P[itex]^{-1}[/itex] so I have tried computing the exponential of M, but to no avail. Any advice is much appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 6, 2013 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes, matrix exponential. This problem is fairly easy because you can split Mt into the sum of a diagonal matrix D and an offdiagonal matrix N which is nilpotent. And they commute with each other. So you can use exp(D+N)=exp(D)exp(N). Finding the exponential of each matrix is pretty easy.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2013
  4. Oct 6, 2013 #3
    Thank you so much, you hero! Just to check I haven't gone completely wrong, should I have

B(t) = e[itex]^{2t}[/itex]*[{e[itex]^{t}[/itex],e[itex]^{t}[/itex],0}{0,e[itex]^{t}[/itex],0}{0,0,1}]?

5. Oct 6, 2013 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Close, but no cigar. That's only correct for t=1. Your nilpotent matrix is N={[0,t,0],[0,0,0],[0,0,0]}. What's exp(N)?

6. Oct 6, 2013 #5
    Aha, of course! I think I see where I went wrong. Is it

B(t) = e[itex]^{2t}[/itex]*[{e[itex]^{t}[/itex],t*e[itex]^{t}[/itex],0}{0,e[itex]^{t}[/itex],0}{0,0,1}]?

7. Oct 6, 2013 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yup!

8. Oct 6, 2013 #7
    Thank you so much, I really appreciate it!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted