1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linear algebra problem

1. Aug 6, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    If A is an n x n matrix over R such that A^3 = A + 1, prove that det(A) > 0 .

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    So, what I've done is factor the expression to get A(A+1)(A-1) = 1, then taking the determinant of both sides, I get det(A)det(A+1)det(A-1) = 1. I thought that maybe I could argue that maybe if det(A) < 0, then this would lead to a contradiction, but that doesn't seem to be going anywhere.
    Should I try to solve it without the explicit use of determinants?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 6, 2017 #2

StoneTemplePython

Gold Member

What are the eigenvalues of ##\mathbf A## ?

4. Aug 6, 2017 #3
    Wouldn't any eigenvalue have to satisfy the equation ##\lambda^3 = \lambda + 1##? Whose only real solution is approximately 1.3247?

5. Aug 6, 2017 #4

fresh_42

Staff: Mentor

The decomposition is a good starting point. It tells us that ##\det A = 0## is impossible, so only ##\det A < 0## or ##\det A > 0## are left.
    Now assume ##\det A < 0## and consider the real function ##f(x)=\det (A-x \cdot 1)##. Is it continuous? Do you know something about the values at certain points? What does this mean for the other points?

Edit: I wouldn't consider eigenvalues, because you cannot be sure whether they are real or not. So eventually they don't exist.

6. Aug 6, 2017 #5

StoneTemplePython

Gold Member

Indeed. So any possible determinant is a product comprised of this real root (which is positive) raised to some natural number and the product of some conjugate pairs raised to a natural number...

7. Aug 6, 2017 #6
    What can we do with ##f(x) = \det (A - xI)##? It doesn't seem to be a very malleable expression. The only two things I see is that f(0) < 0, by supposition. How does this let us conclude things about f(1) or f(-1)?

8. Aug 6, 2017 #7

fresh_42

Well, you also know ##f(0)\cdot f(-1) \cdot f(1) = 1 > 0## and all are real numbers.

Edit: You can also use @StoneTemplePython's approach with conjugate eigenvalues, if this is easier to you. My suggestion is quasi by foot using the properties of continuous real functions.

9. Aug 6, 2017 #8
    Well if ##f(0) < 0## it would have to be the case that ##f(1) \cdot f(-1) < 0##, which is to say that they have different signs, which would mean that we'd have to have a zero of f(x) on the interval ##[-1,1]##, right? Is this a contradiction since there are no eigenvalues of A on this interval?

Also, ##f(x)## is continuous since it is an nth degree polynomial.

10. Aug 6, 2017 #9

fresh_42

Yes, that's right. We have an ##x## with ##f(x)=0##. Your conclusion is basically correct. I only would try to demonstrate why this is a contradiction. Where does ##f(x)=0## lead to? Where do the eigenvalues come in here?

11. Aug 6, 2017 #10
    I'm not completely sure where to go with ##\det (A - xI)= 0##. Of course, the x's for which this is true are the eigenvalues of A, but I don't see how this is related to the interval [-1,1]

12. Aug 6, 2017 #11

fresh_42

What does it mean, if a linear function has zero determinant?

13. Aug 6, 2017 #12
    That it's not invertible?

14. Aug 6, 2017 #13

fresh_42

Yes, and thus it has a non-trivial kernel, i.e. a vector ##v## with ##(A-x\cdot 1)(v)=0##. Now you can use ##A^3=A+1## again and apply it on ##v##.

15. Aug 6, 2017 #14
    All I get is that ##x## must satisfy the equation ##x^3= x+1##

16. Aug 6, 2017 #15

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Eigenvalues work perfectly well here. Since ##A^3 - A - I = 0##, ##p(x) = x^3 - x - 1## is the "minimal polynomial" of ##A##, and that means that its roots are all the eigenvalues of ##A##, not counting multiplicity. One of the eigenvalues is ##\lambda_1 > 0##, as we can see from the fact that ##p(x)## changes sign between ##x = 0## and large positive ##x##. Setting ##p'(x) = 0## implies that there are two stationary points, ##x = \pm 1/\sqrt{3}##, and the second-derivative test shows that ##x = -1/\sqrt{3}## is a (local) maximum, while ##x = +1/\sqrt{3}## is a local minimum. Therefore, there can be only one positive root of ##p(x) = 0##. Also, ##p(-1/\sqrt{3}) < 0##, so ##p(x)## never rises above the 0 for ##x < 0##, hence there are no negative real roots. Therefore, the other two eigenvalues are complex conjugates ##\lambda_2## and ##\lambda_3 = \overline{\lambda}_2##, hence ##\lambda_2 \times \lambda_3 > 0##. The characteristic polynomial ##c(x)## of ##A## must be a multiple of ##p(x)## but with the same roots, hence ##c(x) = (x-\lambda_1)^r (x - \lambda_2)^s (x - \lambda_3)^t##. The matrix ##A## is real, so ##c(x)## is a real polynomial and so its complex roots must come in conjugate pairs. This means that we must have have ##s = t \geq 1##. Thus, we can, indeed, determine the sign of the product of the eigenvalues.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2017
  17. Aug 6, 2017 #16

fresh_42

Yes, and this is a) the solution and b) as I said, the eigenvalue argument by foot. You get that for some real number ##x_0## between ##x=-1## and ##x=1## that it has to hold ##x_0^3-x_0-1 = 0##. Until here you have used, that the function ##f(x)## is continuous, real-valued, that
    and that ##v \neq 0##.

All which is left is to calculate the real number ##x_0## or at least that it has to be greater than ##1##.

18. Aug 6, 2017 #17
    To calculate that real number, is it okay and necessary to use software?

19. Aug 6, 2017 #18

fresh_42

That's not me to decide it. I also looked it up on the Wolfram page. O.k., I had ##A+x\cdot I## and ##x_0 = -1.3...## but this doesn't make any difference. I added (basically) "or at least outside of ##[-1,1]##" to my last post. This way one could do it analytically: calculate inflection points or show that there cannot be a zero between ##-1## and ##1## or even use Cardano's formulas. It would of course make some more work than the software solution, but it's possible.

If we have the polynomial ##p(x)=x^3-x-1## then ##p(-1)=-1## and ##p(1)=-1##. Thus if it crossed the ##x-##axis in between, it would have to have a maximum ##x_m## anywhere in between with ##p(x_m)>0##. But this can easily be calculated by differentiation, solving a quadratic formula and evaluation of ##p(x_m)##. So this is one possible way without software.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted