1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linear Algebra Problems

1. May 10, 2006 #1
    I have a few problems at which I'm at a loss.

The first problem asks to "determine the elementary matrix that will multiply the third row of a 3x3 matrix by 2/3". I'm not even sure what this problem is asking. If A is a 3x3, is this problem asking for a matrix, B, which when you do AB, the third row of A is multplied by 2/3?

The second problem says "Let lambda be an eigenvalue and v an associated eigenvector of matrix A. Prove that v is also an eigenvector for A^2. What is the associated eigenvlue?" I can't find anything about the properties of matrices and their powers?

Might someone be able to offer a nudge or push in the right direction for either of these problems?

Thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. May 10, 2006 #2
    The second question is asking, if Av= lambdav, with lambda the eigenvlaue and v the associated eigenvector, prove that v is also an eigenvecotr for A^2, or A^2v = deltav, with delta the eigenvalue.

4. May 10, 2006 #3
    As for the first question, it's asking for a matrix B such that the third row of A is 2/3 its original value when you calculate BA.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?