Linear Algebra Proof help please

In summary, the conversation discusses the importance of proofs in understanding theorems in Linear Algebra and requests help in finding proofs for two specific theorems related to minimal spanning sets and inner products in subspaces. The conversation also suggests using the Steinitz exchange procedure and the additivity property of inner products in solving the proofs.
elle
Hi,
I'm currently self-studying Linear Algebra and I've come across a few Theorems in the text that I am reading. However, a lot of them just gives the general theorem and statements without proofs :confused: and personally I find looking through derived proofs give me a better understanding of the Theorem itself :redface:

I would very much appreciate if someone can help show the proofs of the following Theorems:

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c109/mathsnerd/txt.jpg"

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c109/mathsnerd/txt2.jpg"

Thanks very much! :biggrin:

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
For question 1, what does S have to do with the question? Am I just confused?

To start, you should have learned a theorem that a minimal spanning set is a maximal linear independent set is a basis of V. So if U is a subspace of V, then the basis of V spans U, so the number of elements in a basis of U must be less than or equal to the elements in the basis of V, otherwise the above theorem is wrong. Then the definition of dimension kicks in, and you're good.

For the part if dimU=dimV, U=V, I would start with the Steinitz exchange procedure. If you don't know what it is, look it up, it's a neat theorem

For the second, definitely start with the additivity property of inner products... a little bit of algebra should sort you right out

1. What is linear algebra?

Linear algebra is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of linear equations, vectors, matrices, and linear transformations. It is used to solve problems in various fields, such as physics, engineering, economics, and computer science.

2. What is a proof in linear algebra?

In linear algebra, a proof is a logical argument that shows the validity of a statement or theorem. It uses mathematical concepts, definitions, and properties to demonstrate the truth of the statement.

3. Why is proof important in linear algebra?

Proofs are important in linear algebra because they provide a rigorous and systematic way to verify the correctness of mathematical statements. They help to build a deeper understanding of the concepts and techniques used in linear algebra.

4. How do I approach a linear algebra proof?

To approach a linear algebra proof, it is important to first understand the statement or theorem you are trying to prove. Then, break it down into smaller, simpler steps and use mathematical definitions and properties to logically connect these steps. Finally, check for any gaps or errors in your reasoning and make sure it is clear and concise.

5. What are some common techniques used in linear algebra proofs?

Some common techniques used in linear algebra proofs include direct proof, proof by contradiction, proof by induction, and proof by counterexample. Other techniques include using mathematical identities, properties of matrices and vectors, and techniques from other branches of mathematics such as calculus and algebra.