1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linear Algebra Proof Help

1. May 5, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Prove that the product of the diagonal entries of an nxn matrix A equals the product of the eigenvalues of A.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. May 5, 2008 #2
    You have to show at least some attempt first before anyone will help.

4. May 5, 2008 #3
    Since you haven't tried the problem I won't provide much help, but I will say a couple of vague hints

(a) this is a standard textbook result, see if it's in your book first
    (b) examine the coefficients of the characteristic polynomial carefully

5. May 5, 2008 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

The problem with you not showing any work is that we have no idea what kind of facts you have to work with. I can think of several different ways of proving that, depending upon how "sophiticated" you want to be.

The very quickest would involve using the "Jordan Normal Form"- do you know what that is?

6. May 5, 2008 #5

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

But it's not even true!? Take A=[[0,1],[1,0]]. Product of the eigenvalues is -1. Product of the diagonal entries is 0. Am I missing something?????

7. May 5, 2008 #6

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

That is not true for all matrices...only in certain types of matrices is that true.

8. May 5, 2008 #7
    The product of the eigenvalues is the determinant, right. The statement would be true for a diagonal matrix for sure :)

9. May 5, 2008 #8

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Yes, it is true (and is trivial) for every diagonal matrix. But that is a very small subset of all matrices.

10. May 5, 2008 #9

Vid

Both the eigenvalues are zero.

For a diagonal matrix the determinant is just the product of the diagonals.

The eiganvalues are |xI-A|....

11. May 5, 2008 #10

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

A*[1,1]=[1,1]. That doesn't look like a zero eigenvector to me.

12. May 5, 2008 #11

Vid

Yea, my statement about your matrix was wrong.

Diagonal matrices have 0 everywhere but the diagonal. Your matrix is symmetric.

13. May 6, 2008 #12
    Yeah I totally screwed up, the OP never returned but I'll just say what I was thinking-- the constant term in the characteristic polynomial is known to be the determinant of the matrix, call it A, but also if you factor the polynomial knowing that it's roots are the eigenvalues [tex]\lambda_i[/tex] then the constant term is also

[tex](-1)^N\prod_{i=1}^{N}\lambda_i[/tex]

and there you have it--

[tex]\prod_{i=1}^{N}\lambda_i = (-1)^N\det A[/tex]

where A is an N by N matrix.

14. May 6, 2008 #13

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Now you have to explain away that (-1)^N. It shouldn't be there. If I is the NxN identity. det(I)=1 and the product of the eigenvalues is certainly 1.

15. May 6, 2008 #14
    Ah yeah the constant term in the characteristic polynomial is not [tex]\det A[/tex] it's [tex](-1)^N\det A[/tex] and then we have instead

[tex]\prod_{i=1}^{N}\lambda_i = \det A[/tex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?