1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linear algebra proof problem

1. Mar 6, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Suppose that AX = O is a homogeneous system of n equations in n variables. If the system (A^2)X = O has a nontrivial solution, show that AX = O has a nontrivial solution.

2. Relevant equations
    Reduced row echelon form definition, matrix multiplication, etc.

3. The attempt at a solution
    This looks like it would be easier to prove the contrapositive:
    If AX = O does not have a nontrivial solution, then (A^2)X does not have a nontrivial solution.

However I'm not sure how to solve this.
    If AX = O does not have a nontrivial solution, then the bottom row of A in reduced row echelon form is not all 0's. Should I use that to prove the bottom of A^2 in reduced row echelon form is not all 0's? Because I'm having trouble with that. Or maybe there is a different way to prove this problem.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 6, 2009 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

From the given information, the matrix A is n x n. You're also given that A2x = 0 has a nontrivial solution, which has implications about the value of the determinant |A2|. Is that enough to get you started?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook