Nontrivial Solutions in Homogeneous Linear Systems: A Proof Problem

In summary, the conversation discusses a method for proving that a homogeneous system of n equations in n variables has a nontrivial solution if the system (A^2)X = O has a nontrivial solution. The conversation also mentions using the reduced row echelon form and the determinant of A2 to solve the problem.
paulrb

Homework Statement

Suppose that AX = O is a homogeneous system of n equations in n variables. If the system (A^2)X = O has a nontrivial solution, show that AX = O has a nontrivial solution.

Homework Equations

Reduced row echelon form definition, matrix multiplication, etc.

The Attempt at a Solution

This looks like it would be easier to prove the contrapositive:
If AX = O does not have a nontrivial solution, then (A^2)X does not have a nontrivial solution.

However I'm not sure how to solve this.
If AX = O does not have a nontrivial solution, then the bottom row of A in reduced row echelon form is not all 0's. Should I use that to prove the bottom of A^2 in reduced row echelon form is not all 0's? Because I'm having trouble with that. Or maybe there is a different way to prove this problem.

Physics news on Phys.org
From the given information, the matrix A is n x n. You're also given that A2x = 0 has a nontrivial solution, which has implications about the value of the determinant |A2|. Is that enough to get you started?

1. What is linear algebra?

Linear algebra is a branch of mathematics that deals with linear equations, matrices, and vector spaces. It is used to solve systems of linear equations, understand geometric transformations, and analyze data.

2. What is a proof in linear algebra?

A proof in linear algebra is a logical and rigorous argument that shows why a certain statement or theorem is true. It usually involves using definitions, properties, and previously proven theorems to arrive at a conclusion.

3. How do I approach a linear algebra proof problem?

The first step in approaching a linear algebra proof problem is to read the problem carefully and make sure you understand what is being asked. Then, identify any relevant definitions, theorems, or properties that may be useful in solving the problem. Finally, use logical reasoning to connect these concepts and arrive at a solution.

4. What are some common mistakes to avoid in linear algebra proofs?

Some common mistakes to avoid in linear algebra proofs include making assumptions without justification, using incorrect notation or terminology, and not showing all the necessary steps in your solution. It is important to be clear, precise, and thorough in your reasoning.

5. How can I improve my skills in solving linear algebra proof problems?

The best way to improve your skills in solving linear algebra proof problems is to practice regularly. Start with simpler problems and gradually work your way up to more complex ones. It can also be helpful to study and understand the underlying concepts and properties in linear algebra, as these will provide a strong foundation for solving proofs.