1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linear algebra proof span

1. Apr 28, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    1. If V is spanned by {v1,v2, ..., vk} and one of these vectors can be written as a linear combination of the other k-1 vectors, prove that the span of these k-1 vectors is also V.

2. Relevant equations
    A set S = {v1,v2, ..., vk}, k >= 2 is linearly dependent if and only if at least one of the vectors vj can be written as a linear combination of the other vectors in S.

3. The attempt at a solution
    Since one of the vectors can be written as a linear combination of the other k-1 vectors, this means that the set of vectors is linearly dependent. Also, since V is spanned by {v1,v2, ..., vk}, then span(S) = {c1v1 + c2v2 + ...+ ckvk : c1, c2, ..., ck are real numbers} by the definition of the span of a set. In addition, by the definition of linearly dependent, there exists a nontrivial solution to the c1v1 + c2v2 +...+ ckvk = 0. These are all the pieces of information that I have deduced from the information given in the problem. From here, I am unsure as to how to proceed in this proof.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 29, 2012 #2
    Here's what I suggest. Say V1 is the span of {v1,...vk} and V2 is the span of {v1,...vk-1}. Now, assuming that V1 and V2 are different, there exists a vector x in V2, not in V1 or a vector y in V1, but not in V2.

Since x is in V2, there exists a sum c1v1 + c2v2 + ... + ck-1vk-1 = x. We can write a sum c1v1 + c2v2 + ... + ck-1vk-1 + 0vk = x + 0 = x, expressing x with a base of V1, so x is in V1.

Now y. It is given that vk is in V2, so we'll write it as b1v1 + ... bk-1vk-1.
    y = a1v1 + ... + ak-1vk-1 + akvk = a1v1 + ... + ak-1vk-1 + ak( b1v1 + ... bk-1vk-1 ) = (a1+akb1)v1 + ... + (ak-1 + akbk-1)vk-1, so y is in V2.

Thus, since V1/V2 = V2/V1 = ∅, V1 = V2.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2012
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook