1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linear Algebra Proof

1. Jul 18, 2008 #1

danago

Gold Member

Prove that if U and V are subspaces of Rn, then so is [tex]U \cap V[/tex]. Show by example that [tex]U \cup V[/tex] is not necessarily a subspace of Rn.

For the first part i can see that elements of [tex]U \cap V[/tex] are elements of both subspaces U and V. If i take any two element from [tex]U \cap V[/tex] and form some linear combination, then it must lie within U (since the elements are in U and U is a subspace) and it must also lie within V (since the elements are in V and V is a subspace), hence, [tex]U \cap V[/tex] is also a subspace.

Thats what i would have called informal reasoning. How can i actually prove that this is the case? Is my reasoning enough to stand as a solid proof?

For the second part i didnt have any troubles. I just defined:

[tex]
    \begin{array}{l}
    U = \{ k\left( {\begin{array}{*{20}c}
    1 \\
    1 \\
    \end{array}} \right)|k \in R\} \\
    V = \{ k\left( {\begin{array}{*{20}c}
    1 \\
    0 \\
    \end{array}} \right)|k \in R\} \\
    U \cup V = \{ a\left( {\begin{array}{*{20}c}
    1 \\
    1 \\
    \end{array}} \right),b\left( {\begin{array}{*{20}c}
    1 \\
    0 \\
    \end{array}} \right)|a,b \in R\} \\
    \end{array}
    [/tex]

I then chose two elements from the union of U and V and formed a linear combination which was not an element of the union of U and V, hence U and V is not a subspace.

[tex]
    \begin{array}{l}
    \left( {\begin{array}{*{20}c}
    0 \\
    1 \\
    \end{array}} \right),\left( {\begin{array}{*{20}c}
    1 \\
    1 \\
    \end{array}} \right) \in U \cup V \\
    \left( {\begin{array}{*{20}c}
    0 \\
    1 \\
    \end{array}} \right) + \left( {\begin{array}{*{20}c}
    1 \\
    1 \\
    \end{array}} \right) = \left( {\begin{array}{*{20}c}
    1 \\
    2 \\
    \end{array}} \right) \notin U \cup V \\
    \end{array}
    [/tex]

I think thats the way to go about it, so its really just the first part i needed a bit of help with.

Thanks,
    Dan.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 18, 2008 #2

Defennder

Homework Helper

Well you can write it in this form:

Suppose [tex]\vec{u_1},\vec{u_2} \in U \cap V[/tex].

Clearly that implies that [tex]\vec{u_1} \ \mbox{and} \ \vec{u_2} \in U[/tex] and this in turn implies that for any [tex]a,b \in \Re , a\vec{u_1} + b\vec{u_2} \in U[/tex] since U is a subspace of R^n. What can you say about u1,u2 in relation to V now? And how would you relate this to [tex]U \cap V[/tex]?

4. Jul 18, 2008 #3
    Yes. It is a perfectly good formal proof. In fact I would much rather see a simple explanation like that than some string of symbols like u,v,a,b with decoration.

5. Jul 18, 2008 #4

danago

Gold Member

cheers for the replies guys. All pretty clear now :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?