Proving d(A^-1)/dL = -(A^-1)(dA/dL)(A^-1)

In summary, the conversation discusses proving the equation d(A^-1)/dL = -(A^-1)(dA/dL)(A^-1) using the analogy of functions of numbers. The question arises of how to extend this to matrices, and the conversation suggests using x instead of L and defining B(x) as the inverse of A(x). The derivative is then taken, resulting in the identity matrix.
chill_factor

Homework Statement

L = lambda.

Prove: d(A^-1)/dL = -(A^-1)(dA/dL)(A^-1)

Homework Equations

?

The Attempt at a Solution

I did this as an analogy with function of numbers, but don't know how to extend this to matricies. for example:

lets say A = f(L)

d(f(L)^-1)/dL = - (f(L)^-2*d(f(L))/dL = -(A^-1)*dA/dL*(A^-1)

But what is the matrix form?

Physics news on Phys.org
chill_factor said:

Homework Statement

L = lambda.

Prove: d(A^-1)/dL = -(A^-1)(dA/dL)(A^-1)

Homework Equations

?

The Attempt at a Solution

I did this as an analogy with function of numbers, but don't know how to extend this to matricies. for example:

lets say A = f(L)

d(f(L)^-1)/dL = - (f(L)^-2*d(f(L))/dL = -(A^-1)*dA/dL*(A^-1)

But what is the matrix form?

I'll use x instead of L, and let B(x) = Inv(A(x)); thus, A(x)*B(x) = I (identity matrix). Take the derivative.

RGV

Ray Vickson said:
I'll use x instead of L, and let B(x) = Inv(A(x)); thus, A(x)*B(x) = I (identity matrix). Take the derivative.

RGV

Thanks greatly.

1. What is the meaning of d(A^-1)/dL?

The notation d(A^-1)/dL represents the derivative of the inverse of matrix A with respect to the variable L. In other words, it measures how the inverse of A changes as the variable L changes.

2. What does it mean for A^-1 to be a function of L?

A^-1 being a function of L means that the elements of the inverse matrix A^-1 are dependent on the value of the variable L. This usually happens when the original matrix A is also a function of L.

3. How is d(A^-1)/dL related to dA/dL?

The expression d(A^-1)/dL is related to dA/dL through the chain rule of differentiation. Specifically, it can be written as d(A^-1)/dL = -(A^-1)(dA/dL)(A^-1), where dA/dL represents the derivative of matrix A with respect to L.

4. Why is the negative sign present in the equation d(A^-1)/dL = -(A^-1)(dA/dL)(A^-1)?

The negative sign is present because the derivative of the inverse of a function is equal to the negative of the inverse of the function multiplied by the derivative of the function itself. In this case, the inverse function is A^-1 and the function is A, hence the negative sign.

5. Can d(A^-1)/dL be simplified further?

No, the expression d(A^-1)/dL = -(A^-1)(dA/dL)(A^-1) cannot be simplified further as it represents the derivative of a matrix with respect to a variable. However, the individual elements of the matrix can be simplified if the original matrix A is known.