Solve Linear Algebra Proof: S*T*S-1=S*p(T)*S-1

In summary, linear algebra is a branch of mathematics that deals with linear equations, matrices, and vector spaces. A linear algebra proof is a mathematical argument that uses the rules and properties of linear algebra to show that a given statement or equation is true. The equation S*T*S-1=S*p(T)*S-1 represents the property of similarity transformation in linear algebra. To solve a linear algebra proof, one must use the properties and rules of linear algebra to manipulate the given equation or statement. Linear algebra has various real-world applications in fields such as physics, engineering, computer science, economics, and statistics. It is commonly used for modeling and solving problems involving systems of linear equations, data analysis, optimization, and machine learning.
blueberryfive

Homework Statement

Suppose S,T ∈ L(V) and S is invertible. Prove that if p ∈ P(F) is a polynomial, then p(S*T*S-1)=S*p(T)*S-1.

Homework Equations

none

The Attempt at a Solution

Suppose by contradiction that for any p ∈ P(F),

p(S*T*S-1)≠S*p(T)*S-1 for any p ∈ P(F).

Since this is true for any p∈ P(F), let p=1x ∈ P(F). Then

1*(S*T*S-1)≠S*(1)*(T)*S-1

This implies that T≠T, a contradiction. Therefore if p ∈ P(F) is a polynomial, then p(S*T*S-1)=S*p(T)*S-1.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
blueberryfive said:

Homework Statement

Suppose S,T ∈L(V) and S is invertible. Prove that if p∈P(F) is a polynomial, then p(STS-1)=Sp(T)S-1.
This is difficult to read due to its terseness. It's difficult to tell that Sp(T)S-1 means S * p(T) * S-1, as opposed to Sp(T), which might be (incorrectly) interpreted as the span of T.
blueberryfive said:

Homework Equations

none

The Attempt at a Solution

Suppose by C!
Don't make us have to work so hard to translate what you are writing. I'm reasonably sure that C! is supposed to be an abbreviation for contradiction, but why should we have to work so hard?
blueberryfive said:
that p(STS-1)≠Sp(T)S-1. Since p=1∈P(F),
Why is p = 1? All you're given is that p is polynomial over some field F.
blueberryfive said:
1(STS-1)≠S1(T)S-1

Multiplying through by S and S-1, we see that T≠T.

Does this work?

I've redone it

That's a lot better - thanks!

If p = 1, then isn't p(STS-1) = 1? IOW, it wouldn't be 1 * STS-1, as you have.

I'm still struggling to make sense of this.

You have p ##\in## P(F) is a polynomial. I assume F is some field. How does it make sense to write p(STS-1)? Are we talking about polynomials in powers of S or T or the like?

Also, and this might seem like a dumb question, but what are S and T? Are they linear operators? Square matrices?

I'm sorry, you're absolutely correct. I was not thinking (x)=1, but p(x)=1x. Then p(STS-1)=1*p(STS-1).

S and T are both in L(V), the set of all linear transformations from V to V (V is a finite-dimensional vector space). F denotes ℝ or ℂ.

I'm not sure how to formally answer that question, but say p(x)=1+x+x2. Then p(T)=I +T+T2, where I is the identity transformation. Hence, p(T)v = Iv + Tv + T2v.

I would go at this directly, rather than by contradiction. p is any polynomial, so it has some representation, say p(X) = A0 + A1X + A2X2 + ... + AnXn.

Now expand p(STS-1) and show that it can be rewritten as S*p(T)*S-1. The trick is to show that, for example, A3(STS-1)3 can be simplified to SA3T3S-1. You might have to do a simple induction proof along the way.

This is really weird. I'm sure I wrote the first reply to this post yesterday. Was there multiple copies of this thread and one got deleted? Maybe I just wrote the reply and never submitted it.

The main point of what I wrote was that you seem to think that the negation of
For all p, we have ##p(STS^{-1})=Sp(T)S^{-1}##.​
is
For all p, we have ##p(STS^{-1})\neq Sp(T)S^{-1}##.​
It's not. The correct negation is
There exists a p such that ##p(STS^{-1})\neq Sp(T)S^{-1}##.​
Because of this, you can't just choose p=1.

Mark44 said:
Sp(T), which might be (incorrectly) interpreted as the span of T.
Or the trace of T. That's what I thought this meant at first. I think the Germans write Sp instead of Tr.

Suppose that your polynomial looks like this :

##p(z) = a_0 + a_1z + a_2z^2 + ... + a_nz^n##.

You also have that S and T are linear transformations ( homomorphisms in fact ) and that S is invertible ( even stronger since S is an isomorphism now as well ).

You can't multiply the transformations together... you can compose them through the regular function composition though.

So ##p(STS^{-1}) = ... = Sp(T)S^{-1}##

Fredrik said:
This is really weird. I'm sure I wrote the first reply to this post yesterday. Was there multiple copies of this thread and one got deleted? Maybe I just wrote the reply and never submitted it.
The OP also posted this problem in the Math technical section, under Linear Algebra. I have locked that thread.

Mark44 said:
The OP also posted this problem in the Math technical section, under Linear Algebra. I have locked that thread.
I don't see it under linear algebra and it doesn't show up in a search. You must have deleted it when you meant to lock it, or someone else deleted it.

micromass came along after I did, and deleted the thread.

Thanks Fredric that's all I wanted to know!

1. What is linear algebra?

Linear algebra is a branch of mathematics that deals with linear equations, matrices, and vector spaces. It involves the study of linear transformations and their properties.

2. What is a linear algebra proof?

A linear algebra proof is a mathematical argument that uses the rules and properties of linear algebra to show that a given statement or equation is true. It typically involves manipulating matrices and vectors using various operations.

3. What does the equation S*T*S-1=S*p(T)*S-1 mean?

This equation represents the property of similarity transformation in linear algebra. It states that if a matrix T is similar to a matrix S, then T and S will have the same eigenvalues and eigenvectors. In other words, they are essentially the same matrix, just expressed in different bases.

4. How do you solve a linear algebra proof?

To solve a linear algebra proof, you must use the properties and rules of linear algebra to manipulate the given equation or statement until it can be shown to be true. This may involve using techniques such as matrix multiplication, inverse operations, and determinants.

5. What real-world applications does linear algebra have?

Linear algebra has many practical applications in fields such as physics, engineering, computer science, economics, and statistics. It is used to model and solve problems involving systems of linear equations, data analysis, optimization, and machine learning, among others.