1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linear Algebra proofs

1. Dec 12, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Ok so I am stick on three proofs for my linear algebra final adn help on any of all of them would really help with my studying

For the first 2 assume that A is an nxn matrix

1.If the collumns of A span Rn then the homogenous system Ax = 0 has only the trivial solution
    2. If the collumns of A are linearly independent, then the columns of A span Rn

These 2 have to be proved without referencing other parts of the invertible matrix theorem

And then,

3. Be able to prove: If A is an nxn matrix then lambda is an eigencalue of A if and only if det(A-lamda*In) = 0

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

the first two i have a better idea at than the third, since its an nxn i know that if it spans Rn then it has a pivot in every row and coincidently in every row and therefore every column. This same fact can be used to explain number 2 with them being linearly independent. My problem with these two is that Im having trouble since I cant reference them being part of the Invertible matrix theorem.

For the third one I think I am on the right track but not sure
    The determinat of A-IL must equal zero because the determinant of A is simply the product of the eigenvalues. If you replace each eigenvalue into the determinat one at a time and multiply it by I, one of the entries will be replaced by zero and any other vlues multiplied by zero will result in zero. As a result, the determinat must equal zero.

Any help would be great

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 12, 2009 #2
    A somewhat different take on 1 and 2 than yours (I suspect yours could be formalized as well, but I find the following approach more natural):
    For 1: In other words you are told that the column space of A equals R^n. Then what is the rank and nullity of A? Knowing the nullity what can you tell about the space of solutions?

For 2: In other words the n-columns are linearly independent in the column space whose dimension is at most n. Can n-linearly independent vectors possibly fail to span a n-dimensional space?

For 3: For [itex]\lambda[/itex] to be an eigenvalue means that there exists a non-zero vector v such that,
    [tex]Av = \lambda v = \lambda I_n v[/tex]
    which is equivalent to:
    [tex](A-\lambda I_n)v = 0[/tex]
    If [itex]A-\lambda I_n[/itex] has an inverse B, try to left-multiply the above equality by B.

For the other direction assume [itex]\det(A-\lambda I_n)=0[/itex] which is equivalent to [itex]A-\lambda I_n[/itex] not having an inverse, or having nullity >0. Since the nullity is >0 the null space contains a non-zero vector v which you can show is a eigenvector with eigenvalue [itex]\lambda[/itex].

4. Dec 12, 2009 #3
    Ok I think i can take it from here, thanks a lot you really saved me with this

5. Dec 13, 2009 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

In (1) you have n vectors that span an n dimensional space.

In (2) you have n vectors in an n dimensional space.

Do you recall that a basis for a space has three properties- but that any two are enough to prove the third?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook