Linear Algebra Proofs for nxn Matrices | Homework Assistance

In summary: This is analogous to the situation with eigenvalues and eigenvectors. For any two eigenvalues, you can use the equation \lambda_1+\lambda_2=\lambda to prove that there is a third eigenvalue (\lambda).For (3), you are told that the determinant of A-IL must equal zero. If A-\lambda I_n has an inverse B, try to left-multiply the above equality by B. If A-\lambda I_n does not have an inverse, then the determinant of A must be equal to zero.
rhyno89

Homework Statement

Ok so I am stick on three proofs for my linear algebra final adn help on any of all of them would really help with my studying

For the first 2 assume that A is an nxn matrix

1.If the collumns of A span Rn then the homogenous system Ax = 0 has only the trivial solution
2. If the collumns of A are linearly independent, then the columns of A span Rn

These 2 have to be proved without referencing other parts of the invertible matrix theorem

And then,

3. Be able to prove: If A is an nxn matrix then lambda is an eigencalue of A if and only if det(A-lamda*In) = 0

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

the first two i have a better idea at than the third, since its an nxn i know that if it spans Rn then it has a pivot in every row and coincidently in every row and therefore every column. This same fact can be used to explain number 2 with them being linearly independent. My problem with these two is that I am having trouble since I can't reference them being part of the Invertible matrix theorem.

For the third one I think I am on the right track but not sure
The determinat of A-IL must equal zero because the determinant of A is simply the product of the eigenvalues. If you replace each eigenvalue into the determinat one at a time and multiply it by I, one of the entries will be replaced by zero and any other vlues multiplied by zero will result in zero. As a result, the determinat must equal zero.

Any help would be great

Physics news on Phys.org
A somewhat different take on 1 and 2 than yours (I suspect yours could be formalized as well, but I find the following approach more natural):
For 1: In other words you are told that the column space of A equals R^n. Then what is the rank and nullity of A? Knowing the nullity what can you tell about the space of solutions?

For 2: In other words the n-columns are linearly independent in the column space whose dimension is at most n. Can n-linearly independent vectors possibly fail to span a n-dimensional space?

For 3: For [itex]\lambda[/itex] to be an eigenvalue means that there exists a non-zero vector v such that,
[tex]Av = \lambda v = \lambda I_n v[/tex]
which is equivalent to:
[tex](A-\lambda I_n)v = 0[/tex]
If [itex]A-\lambda I_n[/itex] has an inverse B, try to left-multiply the above equality by B.

For the other direction assume [itex]\det(A-\lambda I_n)=0[/itex] which is equivalent to [itex]A-\lambda I_n[/itex] not having an inverse, or having nullity >0. Since the nullity is >0 the null space contains a non-zero vector v which you can show is a eigenvector with eigenvalue [itex]\lambda[/itex].

Ok I think i can take it from here, thanks a lot you really saved me with this

In (1) you have n vectors that span an n dimensional space.

In (2) you have n vectors in an n dimensional space.

Do you recall that a basis for a space has three properties- but that any two are enough to prove the third?

1. What is the purpose of a proof in linear algebra?

A proof in linear algebra serves to demonstrate the validity of a mathematical statement, such as a theorem or a formula, by using logical reasoning and mathematical concepts. It provides a rigorous and formal justification for the statement, allowing it to be accepted as a true and reliable fact.

2. How do I know when a proof in linear algebra is correct?

A proof in linear algebra is considered correct when it follows a logical and coherent sequence of steps that lead from the given assumptions or axioms to the desired conclusion. It should be clear, concise, and free of any errors or fallacies. Peer review and validation by other mathematicians also contribute to determining the correctness of a proof.

3. Can I use diagrams or visual aids in a proof in linear algebra?

Yes, diagrams and visual aids can be helpful in illustrating and understanding concepts in linear algebra. However, they should be used as supplementary tools and not as a substitute for a formal proof. The proof itself should still be presented in a clear and logical manner, using mathematical language and symbols.

4. How can I improve my skills in writing proofs in linear algebra?

The best way to improve your proof-writing skills in linear algebra is through practice. Start with simpler proofs and gradually move on to more complex ones. Read and study proofs written by experts in the field, and learn to break them down into smaller steps. Also, seek feedback from others and be open to constructive criticism.

5. Are there any common mistakes to avoid when writing proofs in linear algebra?

One common mistake in writing proofs in linear algebra is assuming the conclusion to be true without proper justification. Another is using informal or imprecise language, which can lead to ambiguity or confusion. It is also important to be careful with algebraic manipulations and to double-check calculations for accuracy. Lastly, avoid using circular reasoning or assuming what needs to be proven.