1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linear Algebra question regarding linear operators and matrix rep. relative to basis

1. Dec 12, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let w = a + bi be a complex number and let T : C -> C be defined by T(z) = w · z.
    Considering C as a vector space over R, find the matrix B representing T relative to
    the basis {1, i} of C.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I think you use eigenvalues and eigenvectors, if T is diagonalizable, but my main problem is finding standard basis of T since z is not defined, hence can you guide me there thanks, please help I have an exam tomorrow!.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 12, 2012 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Re: Linear Algebra question regarding linear operators and matrix rep. relative to ba

I don't see that eigenvalues or eigenvectors enter into this at all.
    "standard basis of T" makes no sense to me. A basis is associated with a vector space, not a transformation.

You are given a basis for C; namely {1, i}. What is T(1)? What is T(i)?

4. Dec 12, 2012 #3
    Re: Linear Algebra question regarding linear operators and matrix rep. relative to ba

sorry I meant to say standard matrix of T not basis. Then can you tell me how to solve the question please, I have an exam tomorrow, I'm so confused, I just need help.

5. Dec 12, 2012 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

w=a+bi. As Mark44 suggested, if you find T(1) and T(i) then those will be the column vectors of the 2x2 matrix for T in the basis {1,i}. What are they? Express them in terms of the basis.

6. Dec 12, 2012 #5

okay so I get (a -b)
    (b a)

thanks for the help, you made it clear for me.

7. Dec 12, 2012 #6

I get the matrix (a -b)
    (b a)
    I don't have time to find the matrix input on this thing.

Thanks for the help, you made it clear

8. Dec 12, 2012 #7

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I'm clear you've got it. That's what's important. Don't worry about the notation. I fudge it a lot myself. I'd express that as [[a,-b],[b,a]] and just hope people get it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook