1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linear Algebra question.

1. Jun 6, 2006 #1
    prove that a 2x2 complex matrix :
    a b
    c d

is positive iff A=A*, where A* is the conjugate transpose.

i know that an operator (and so i think it also applies to a matrix) is positive when it equals SS* for an operator (matrix) S.

and A* equals:
    \\_
    a c
    _
    b d

where the upper line stands for the conjugate.
    but i don't know how to find an operator (matrix) which multiplied by its transpose conjugate equals A.
    any pointers will be appreciated.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 6, 2006 #2

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What does it mean to say a matrix is positive? Do you mean positive definite? Are the two terms interchangeable?

Also, there's another definition that requires that all square sub-matrices have positive determinants - I don't know what this is called.

4. Jun 6, 2006 #3
    i know the definition of positive operator (which you can reflect on a matrix cause evey operator can be repesented by a matrix), the definitions is as follows:
    an operator P is positive if it can be represneted by this equation P=SS* where S is an operator.
    the defintion of definite positive requires that S will be non singular.

5. Jun 8, 2006 #4

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

So, if P=SS*, what is P* = ?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?