1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linear Algebra question

1. Sep 30, 2006 #1
    Hi this is my first post here. So be nice now o:) I´ve have a problem with a question:

[tex]T:\mathbb{R}^2\rightarrow\mathbb{R}^2 [/tex] first reflects points through the vertical x2-axis and then rotates points [tex]\pi[/tex]/2 radians.

/Perrry

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 30, 2006 #2
    What's the question?

4. Sep 30, 2006 #3

radou

Homework Helper

What does 'x2-axis' mean? You mean like the y-axis in an orthogonal x-y coordinate system? What is your direction of rotation? Do you have to write the operator T in matrix form? State your question more clear, please.

5. Sep 30, 2006 #4
    Okay sorry my english isn´t that good. I missed some trival parts....

T is a linear tranformation. And i shall find the standard matrix of T. The x2 axis is the Y-axis. And the rotation should be counterclockwise.

//Perrry

6. Sep 30, 2006 #5

radou

Homework Helper

To illustrate the problem, place a point T1 somewhere in the x-y coordinate system. Then follow the rules and get T1' and T1''. T1'' represents the point you get after the operator T is applied. So, write a matrix equation of form T1 T = T1'', whete T is your linear operator, which is a 2x2 matrix. Solve the equation, and you should get the elements of T.

7. Oct 1, 2006 #6
    Okay. The first matrix that reflects the points through the y-axis is [tex]
    \left[
    \begin{array}{cc}
    -1 & 0\\
    0 & 1
    \end{array}
    \right]
    [/tex]

and then the matrix that rotate them counterclockwise is [tex] \left[ \begin{array}{cc}
    0 & -1\\
    1 & 0
    \end{array}
    \right]
    [/tex]

I should write them in a matrix that first reflects the points through the x-axis and then rotate them pi/2. Could i just write:

[tex]T= \left[ \begin{array}{cc}
    -1 & 0\\
    0 & 1
    \end{array}
    \right]
    [/tex] [tex] \left[ \begin{array}{cc}
    0 & -1\\
    1 & 0
    \end{array}
    \right]
    [/tex]

Is the matrix finished there? And could i just put in the points (x,y) into the matrix?

Or could i write?:

[tex]T= \left[ \begin{array}{c}
    -x \\
    y
    \end{array}
    \right]
    [/tex] [tex] \left[ \begin{array}{cc}
    0 & -1\\
    1 & 0
    \end{array}
    \right]
    [/tex]

And then put in the x,y if i had the values. Have patience guys I´m a newbie at this...

//Perrry

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 1, 2006
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?