1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linear Algebra question

1. May 30, 2007 #1

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    prove or disprove:
    1) (z is complex and bar(c) is the conjugate of c)
    If c and bar(c) are solutions to z^2 + az + b = 0 and c isn't real then a and b are real.
    2) If S and T are subsets of the space V and intersection of Sp(S) and Sp(T) is {0} then the intersection of S and T is an empty set. (Sp is the span)

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    1) I wrote z as x+yi and got:
    x^2 + 2xyi - y^2 + ax + ayi +b = x^2 -2xyi - y^2 +ax - ayi +b
    and so:
    4xyi + 2ayi = 0 => 2x + a = 0 => a=-2x which is real. and by putting that into the equation I get that b is also real. So the answer is True.

2) If S = T = {0} then the intersection of both Sp(S) and Sp(T) and S and T is {0}. So the answer is False.

Is that right? Am I missing anything here? especially the last one seemed too easy.
  2. jcsd
  3. May 30, 2007 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Both your answers are right. Note in your work for the first one, you have "4xyi + 2ayi = 0 => 2x + a = 0." Be aware that this is only valid because y is non-zero, which is because c isn't real. Another way to do 1) is this:

If c and [itex]\bar{c}[/itex] are the solutions to z2 + az + b = 0, then [itex](z-c)(z-\bar{c}) = z^2 + az + b[/itex]. Multiplying the left side out gives [itex]z^2 - (c+\bar{c})z + c\bar{c}[/itex], which is just z2 - 2Re(c)z + |c|2, and so a = - 2Re(c), and b = |c|2, both of which are clearly real quantities.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?