1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linear Algebra Question

1. Oct 9, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Write the general element in terms of aij and bij for (AB)^T [AB transposed].

2. Relevant equations

(AB)^T = B^T*A^T; A=[aij]mxn; B=[bij]nxp

3. The attempt at a solution
    n
    AB= [sigma aik*bkj]mxp. Let this be equal to [xij]mxp
    k=1
    n
    (AB)^T=[[sigma aik*bkj]mxp]^T
    k=1

=[xji]pxm

n
    =[sigma aki*bjk]mxp
    k=1
    n
    so the general element xji=[sigma aki*bjk]
    k=1

My teacher says this is wrong. Where did I go wrong?

------------------------
    Alternate way I used to "check" my wrong answer:
    n
    (AB)^T=B^T*A^T=[bji]pxn[aji]nxm=[sigma bjk*aki]pxm=[sigma aki*bjk]pxm
    k=1

We are using an differential equations/linear algebra textbook for engineers. It never discusses element-by-element proofs, and it leaves out many important differential equations topics, such as exact equations. I have a real diff eq book that my neighbor lent me, but I have to teach myself these types of problems through Wikipedia.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 9, 2008 #2
    I'm really not certain what all that stuff that's not in LaTeX is, but consider this:

If [itex] A = \{a_{ij} \} [/itex] then you know that 1) [itex] A^T = \{ a_{ji} \} [/itex]
    and you also know that 2) [itex] (AB)^T = B^T A^T [/itex].

Now if [itex] B = \{ b_{jk} \} [/itex] (where I've used the index "j" again since I know that j will iterate B in precisely the same manner as A for AB to make sense) you can write the matrix AB as [itex] AB = \displaystyle \left\{ a_{ij} b_{jk} \right\} [/itex]. Now let's say, that without being too rigorous, you were to apply the operations from 1) and 2) to this sum, what would you get?

4. Oct 10, 2008 #3
    [bkj][aij] ?

5. Oct 15, 2008 #4
    So I let A={a[tex]_{}ij[/tex]} and B={b[tex]_{}ij[/tex]}.

Then I know that A[tex]^{}T[/tex]={a[tex]_{}ji[/tex]} and B[tex]^{}T[/tex]={a[tex]_{}ji[/tex]}.

A typical element of the product B[tex]^{}T[/tex]A[tex]^{}T[/tex]={b[tex]_{}ji[/tex]a[tex]_{}ji[/tex]}.

However, B[tex]^{}T[/tex]A[tex]^{}T[/tex]={[tex]\Sigma[/tex][tex]^{}n[/tex][tex]_{}k=1[/tex]b[tex]_{}jk[/tex]a[tex]_{}kj[/tex]}.

Is this correct?

6. Oct 15, 2008 #5
    So I let A={a[tex]_{}ij[/tex]} and B={b[tex]_{}ij[/tex]}.

Then I know that A[tex]^{}T[/tex]={a[tex]_{}ji[/tex]} and B[tex]^{}T[/tex]={a[tex]_{}ji[/tex]}.

A typical element of the product B[tex]^{}T[/tex]A[tex]^{}T[/tex]={b[tex]_{}ji[/tex]a[tex]_{}ji[/tex]}.

The sum would therefore be: B[tex]^{}T[/tex]A[tex]^{}T[/tex]={[tex]\Sigma[/tex]b[tex]_{}jk[/tex]a[tex]_{}ki[/tex]} from k=1 to n.

Is this correct?

7. Oct 15, 2008 #6
    Max, I think we are both right.

What did the professor get?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?