1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linear algebra question

1. Aug 3, 2009 #1

tgt

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    If a linear system of n equations in n unkowns has n leading 1's in the reduced row-echelon form of its augmented matrix, then the system has exactly one solution.

3. The attempt at a solution
    True to me but is it?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 3, 2009 #2
    Yes it is, but is this all your attempt to the solution?

4. Aug 3, 2009 #3

tgt

The book said False. Must be a typo?

If there are n equstions and n leading ones, all variables must equal to a specific number. And that is the only solution in the system.

5. Aug 3, 2009 #4
    Em.....unless 1's in the augmented part can be called "leading 1",then the matrix can be like this:
    1 0 2
    0 0 1
    But I have a very vague memory that the 1 in augmented part(1 in second row) can't be called "leading 1",but you should check it out.

6. Aug 5, 2009 #5

tgt

But there is n leading 1's with n variables. Your example have 2 leading 1's in 3 variables.

The question does say n leading 1's in the reduced echelon matrix. The fact that its reduced echelon suggest that all columns have 0 elsewhere.

7. Aug 5, 2009 #6
    Kof is right. A leading 1 is a pivot position.

EDIT:

Here:
    1 0 2
    0 0 1
    The 1 in the 2nd row isn't a leading 1, but here it is:
    1 0 2
    0 1 0

8. Aug 5, 2009 #7
    No, my example is an augmented matrix, the 3rd column is the right hand side of the equations.

9. Aug 5, 2009 #8

tgt

So you are saying that if a linear system of n equations in n unkowns has n leading 1's in the reduced row-echelon form of its augmented matrix then it is inconsistent. hence the book was right.

10. Aug 5, 2009 #9
    Personally I don't think 1 in augmented part can not be called leading one, and with roam's confirmation, probably it's just a typo in the book.

11. Aug 6, 2009 #10

tgt

The book I'm using does not draw a vertical line before the last column even for an augmented matrix. So in that case the book was right, no typo.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook