Linear Algebra System Solution: (x,y,z) = (a,b,a), Non-Integer a + b Calculation

In summary, a linear algebra system solution can be represented as (x,y,z) = (a,b,a), with non-integer values for a and b. This means that the solution is not a whole number and requires a calculation involving fractions or decimals.
jcharky
The solution of the system

ax + ay - z = 1
x - ay - az = -1
ax - y + az = 1

is (x,y,z) = (a,b,a). If a is not an integer, what is the numberical value of a + b.

So I guess i should plug in (a,b,a) for (x,y,z) first..

a^2 + ab - a = 1
a - ab + a^2 = -1
a^2 - b - a^2 = 1

I am not sure how to solve for a + b though and I am not sure how part that a is not an integer comes into play can someone help?

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi jcharky ! Welcome to PF! :smile:

(try using the X2 tag just above the Reply box :wink:)

Your second and third equations have a2 the wrong way round. :redface:

1. What is a linear algebra system solution?

A linear algebra system solution is a set of values that satisfies a system of linear equations. In this case, the solution is in the form of (x, y, z) and is equal to (a, b, a).

2. How is a linear algebra system solved?

A linear algebra system is solved by using various methods, such as Gaussian elimination, substitution, or Cramer's rule. These methods involve manipulating the equations to isolate and solve for the variables.

3. What does "Non-Integer a + b Calculation" mean?

This means that the values for a and b in the solution are not whole numbers or integers. They can be fractions, decimals, or irrational numbers.

4. Why is it important to solve a linear algebra system?

Solving a linear algebra system allows us to find the values of the variables that satisfy the equations and find the relationship between the variables. This is useful in many areas of mathematics and science, such as in solving optimization problems or modeling real-world situations.

5. Can a linear algebra system have multiple solutions?

Yes, a linear algebra system can have one, infinite, or no solutions. It depends on the number of equations and variables and the consistency and independence of the equations. In this case, the solution given is one possible solution, but there may be other solutions that also satisfy the equations.