1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linear Algebra Question

1. Mar 23, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Given the following points, generate the function of the curve in form of a 7th degree polynomial.
    (1.301, -0.788)
    (1.477, -0.454)
    (1.602, -0.194)
    (1.700, 0)
    (1.778, 0.158)
    (1.845, 0.288)
    (1.903, 0.410)
    (1.954, 0.500)

Furthermore, the solution has to be done without a calculator (during exams).

2. Relevant equations
    Don't know of any

3. The attempt at a solution
    I tried using the interpolation polynomial, however the graph equation has to be an exact match because I am required to calculate numerous addition details from the equation.

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 23, 2010 #2
    haha that function doesn't sound very linear to me. I have no idea how to do that, but i would try using the method of least squares.

4. Mar 23, 2010 #3

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

A seventh-degree polynomial isn't linear...

5. Mar 23, 2010 #4

hotvette

Homework Helper

The question seems a bit odd considering the points are given with three digit accuracy, a 7th degree polynomial is involved, and you are asked to solve it w/o a calculator.

Since this appears to be from a linear algebra class and you have 8 data points to represent a 7th degree polynomial (with 8 unknowns), the problem can be represented in matrix form Ax = b where A is a 8 x 8 matrix, x is the unknown vector of the polynomial coefficients, and it can solved with techniques learned in linear algebra (e.g. Gauss elimination). But, the solution by hand, even algebraically, would be a real bear, much less tying to do the computations with points to 3 digit accuracy.

I think you need clarification as to what is being asked and how it relates to linear algebra.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook