Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Linear Algebra Question

1. Mar 23, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Given the following points, generate the function of the curve in form of a 7th degree polynomial.
    (1.301, -0.788)
    (1.477, -0.454)
    (1.602, -0.194)
    (1.700, 0)
    (1.778, 0.158)
    (1.845, 0.288)
    (1.903, 0.410)
    (1.954, 0.500)

Furthermore, the solution has to be done without a calculator (during exams).

2. Relevant equations
    Don't know of any

3. The attempt at a solution
    I tried using the interpolation polynomial, however the graph equation has to be an exact match because I am required to calculate numerous addition details from the equation.

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 23, 2010 #2
    haha that function doesn't sound very linear to me. I have no idea how to do that, but i would try using the method of least squares.

4. Mar 23, 2010 #3

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

A seventh-degree polynomial isn't linear...

5. Mar 23, 2010 #4

hotvette

Homework Helper

The question seems a bit odd considering the points are given with three digit accuracy, a 7th degree polynomial is involved, and you are asked to solve it w/o a calculator.

Since this appears to be from a linear algebra class and you have 8 data points to represent a 7th degree polynomial (with 8 unknowns), the problem can be represented in matrix form Ax = b where A is a 8 x 8 matrix, x is the unknown vector of the polynomial coefficients, and it can solved with techniques learned in linear algebra (e.g. Gauss elimination). But, the solution by hand, even algebraically, would be a real bear, much less tying to do the computations with points to 3 digit accuracy.

I think you need clarification as to what is being asked and how it relates to linear algebra.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook