Converting Implicit to Parametric: Step-by-Step Guide | Linear Algebra Question

In summary, to convert an implicit representation to a parametric one, you can find three points on the plane and use them to form two vectors. Then, using the point and the two vectors, you can write the parametric equation for the plane. It is important to choose points that are not on the same line, and to write coordinates as fractions or decimals rather than mixed numbers.
discy

Homework Statement

How to convert an implicit representation to a parametric

Homework Equations

Implicit: ax + by + cz = d.
Parametric: (x,y,z) = (xp, yp, zp) + s(xv,yv,zv,) + t(xw,yw,wz)

The Attempt at a Solution

For parametric to implicit it would look like this:
(x,y,z) = (0, 7, 6)T + s(-8, 7, -2)T + t(4, 1, -2)T
1. Calculate the crossproduct of (-8,7,-2) x (4,1,-2) = (12,24,36) = (1,2,3) = (a,b,c)
2. Calculate d using the first point: (1,2,3) (0,7,6) = d = 32
3. Result: 1x + 2y + 3z = 32

But how to go the other way around? I have looked all over google and youtube, but couldn't find it anywhere! :(.
Example could be: x + 2y + 3z = 32

I'm sorry that I couldn't try it before posting this. But I have no idea how to start :(.

Please help me.. my exam is on tuesday and I've been learning very hard.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
discy said:

Homework Statement

How to convert an implicit representation to a parametric

Homework Equations

Implicit: ax + by + cz = d.
Parametric: (x,y,z) = (xp, yp, zp) + s(xv,yv,zv,) + t(xw,yw,wz)

The Attempt at a Solution

For parametric to implicit it would look like this:
(x,y,z) = (0, 7, 6)T + s(-8, 7, -2)T + t(4, 1, -2)T
1. Calculate the crossproduct of (-8,7,-2) x (4,1,-2) = (12,24,36) = (1,2,3) = (a,b,c)
2. Calculate d using the first point: (1,2,3) (0,7,6) = d = 32
3. Result: 1x + 2y + 3z = 32

But how to go the other way around? I have looked all over google and youtube, but couldn't find it anywhere! :(.
Example could be: x + 2y + 3z = 32

I'm sorry that I couldn't try it before posting this. But I have no idea how to start :(.

Please help me.. my exam is on tuesday and I've been learning very hard.
Starting with your equation x + 2y + 3z = 32,
1. Use this equation to find three points in the plane - any three, as long as they aren't all on the same line. Here are two points in this plane: P(0, 16, 0) and Q(32, 0, 0).
2. Form the vectors PQ and PR. Neither vector should be a scalar multiple of the other.
You now have enough information to write parametric equations for the plane.

<x, y, z> = OP + r * PQ + s * PR

Mark44 said:
Starting with your equation x + 2y + 3z = 32,
1. Use this equation to find three points in the plane - any three, as long as they aren't all on the same line. Here are two points in this plane: P(0, 16, 0) and Q(32, 0, 0).
2. Form the vectors PQ and PR. Neither vector should be a scalar multiple of the other.
You now have enough information to write parametric equations for the plane.

<x, y, z> = OP + r * PQ + s * PR

Hi, thanks very much! It's much more clear now! Three more questions and my attempt:

1. What is the key to create three points on different lines?
Attempt: I suppose make sure that the combination should not be a scalar multiply of the other points?. So point R could be (3, 6, 5[itex]\frac{2}{3}[/itex]) right?

2. By forming vectors; do you mean substract the points, like P - Q, P - R?
Attempt:
P-Q = (32, 0, 0) - (0, 16, 0) = (32, -16, 0)
P-R = (3, 6, 5[itex]\frac{2}{3}[/itex]) - (0, 16, 0) - = (3, -10, 5[itex]\frac{2}{3}[/itex])
OP = (3, 6, 5[itex]\frac{2}{3}[/itex])

So a solution would be: <x, y, z> = (3,6,5[itex]\frac{2}{3}[/itex]) + r(32, -16, 0) + s(3, -10, 5[itex]\frac{2}{3}[/itex]) is that right?

3. How can you be sure that the points you choose won't result in vectors that are linearly dependent? Attempt: find three points that aren't on the same line. You can be sure that the vectors formed by substracting those points are not linearly dependent.

Last edited:
discy said:
Hi, thanks very much! It's much more clear now! Two more questions and my attempt:

1. What is the key to create three points on different lines?
Attempt: I suppose make sure that the combination can not be a scalar multiply of the other points?. So point R could be (3, 6, 5[itex]\frac{2}{3}[/itex]) right?
Any point is fine whose coordinates satisfy the equation x + 2y + 3z = 32, and the one you show does so. However, you should write the last coordinate as 17/3 rather than as a mixed number - it makes calculations easier.
discy said:
2. By forming vectors; do you mean substract the points, like P - Q, P - R?
Attempt:
P-Q = (0, 16, 0) - (32, 0, 0) = (-32, 16, 0)
P-R = (0, 16, 0) - (3, 6, 5[itex]\frac{2}{3}[/itex]) = (-3, 10, -5[itex]\frac{2}{3}[/itex])
OP = (3, 6, 5[itex]\frac{2}{3}[/itex])
Sort of. You're not really subtracting points, though, so you wouldn't be understood if you wrote "P - Q".

Here's how you get the vector PQ. Here O is the origin.

OP + PQ = OQ
This means that adding the vector OP to the vector PQ results in the vector OQ

Subtracting the vector OP from both sides gives
PQ = OQ - OP

For example, working in R2, if P = (3, 2) and Q = (2, 5), PQ = <2 - 3, 5 - 2> = <-1, 3>. I'm using angle brackets to distinguish vectors from points.

The same ideas can be extended to vectors in higher dimensions.
discy said:
So a solution could be: <x, y, z> = (3,6,-5[itex]\frac{2}{3}[/itex]) + r(-32, 16, 0) + s(-3, 10, -17) ? is that right?

Again, don't write coordinates as mixed numbers. It's not wrong to do this, but you set yourself up for making mistakes. In mathematics at the level of algebra and above, mixed numbers are rarely used.

I'll let you check for yourself. Pick values for r and s (r = 1 and s = 0 are pretty convenient). What point do you get? Does it satisfy the equation x + 3y + 3z = 32?

Pick another set of values for r and s (this time, try r = 0 and s = 1). What point do you get this time? Does it satisfy the plane equation?

If both points satisfy your equation, you can be almost certain you have the right vector equation. To be absolutely sure, pick one more set of values for r and s, and check that point. As long as all three points aren't on the same straight line, your work is good, because three points that are not collinear completely determine a plane.

Thanks so much!

For the record: I made some miscalculations. I've fixed them in my first post :).

Last edited:
Would you also like to give an answer to my last question?

3. How can you be sure that the points you choose won't result in vectors that are linearly dependent?
Attempt: Because a plane is non-collinear; if the points on the plane aren't on the same line, the vectors formed by those points are not linearly dependent.

Last edited:

1. What is linear algebra?

Linear algebra is a branch of mathematics that deals with linear equations and their representations in vector spaces using matrices and other mathematical structures. It also studies the properties and operations of these structures.

2. What are the applications of linear algebra?

Linear algebra has numerous applications in various fields such as engineering, physics, computer science, economics, and statistics. It is used for solving systems of linear equations, data analysis and modeling, image and signal processing, and machine learning.

3. What are the basic concepts in linear algebra?

The basic concepts in linear algebra include vectors, matrices, linear transformations, determinants, eigenvalues, and eigenvectors. These concepts are used to represent and manipulate linear equations and systems.

4. What is the importance of linear algebra in data science?

Linear algebra is a fundamental tool in data science as it provides the necessary mathematical framework for data analysis and machine learning. It allows for efficient manipulation and processing of large datasets and enables the development of algorithms for data analysis and modeling.

5. How can I improve my understanding of linear algebra?

To improve your understanding of linear algebra, it is important to have a strong foundation in basic algebra and geometry. It is also helpful to practice solving problems and working with matrices and vectors. Additionally, there are many online resources, textbooks, and courses available to further enhance your knowledge of linear algebra.