1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linear algebra question.

1. Feb 9, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

We are to show that the set C of complex numbers, with scalar multiplication de ned
    by α (a + bi) = α a + α bi and addition de fined by (a + bi) + (c + di) = (a + c) + (b + d)i,
    satis es the eight axioms of a vector space

I have a few questions about this problem,

What is the term i? is it just a fancy way of saying a2

Can we think of these as vectors, for instance (a+bi)
    is the vector X where a is x1 and bi is x2?

Also I was trying to prove the third axiom which states there exist an element 0 in V such that x+0=x for each xεV.

My logic was let (a+bi)= vector X and (c+di)= Vector Y
    X+Y=X

X-X+Y=X-X
    Y=0
    thus X+Y=X

Thanks for the help guys.
    2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 9, 2013 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

i is the imaginary unit. i^2=(-1). But all you really need to know about complex numbers is that a+bi=c+di if and only if a=c and b=d. And, sure, the additive identity is 0 or 0+0i. Same thing.

4. Feb 9, 2013 #3
    Thanks for the response Dick. So my logic and reasoning was perfectly find for this problem?

5. Feb 9, 2013 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You deduced the identity is 0+0i, sure. Showing it is an identity is just a matter of saying (0+0i)+(a+bi)=(0+a)+(0+b)i=a+bi. That's only one axiom though. Haven't you got seven more to go?

6. Feb 9, 2013 #5
    Yea, but I just wanted to make sure I was on the right track. Thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook