1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linear algebra question

1. Mar 15, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Assuming that all matrices are [itex]n\times n[/itex] and invertible, solve for [itex]D[/itex].

[itex]C^{T}B^{-1}A^{2}BAC^{-1}DA^{-2}B^{T}C^{-2}=C^{T}[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution

I tried to group all like terms and simplify. I'm pretty sure this is not allowed but I'm not really sure how to approach this question. Thanks a lot any help appreciated!

[itex]C^{T}C^{-1}C^{-1}C^{-1}B^{-1}BB^{T}AAAA^{-1}A^{-1}D=C^{T}[/itex]

[itex]C^{T}C^{-1}C^{-1}C^{-1}IB^{T}IIAD=C^{T}[/itex]

[itex]((C^T)^{-1}C^{T})C^{-1}C^{-1}C^{-1}B^{T}AD=C^{T}(C^T)^{-1}[/itex]

[itex]I(C^{-1}C^{-1}C^{-1}CCC)(B^{T}(B^T)^{-1})(AA^{-1})D=ICCC(B^T)^{-1}A^{-1}[/itex]

[itex]D=C^{3}(B^T)^{-1}A^{-1}[/itex]
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 15, 2013 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

No, you can't change the order like that. What you can do is multiply both sides by the same thing at the same end. I.e. You can go from Y = Z to XY = XZ or to YX = ZX. Start with multiplying both sides on the left by C-T. Use the fact that you can change the order when the two matrices being multiplied are inverses of each other: X-1X = I = XX-1

4. Mar 15, 2013 #3

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Don't assume the matrices commute. You can't interchange the order like you did. Aside from the fact this problem is needlessly complex, just use patience and cancel each matrix M by M^(-1) on the appropriate side.

5. Mar 15, 2013 #4
    Thanks guys, but what happens when I get down to D after I multiply each term preceding it by its inverse?

6. Mar 15, 2013 #5
    Ahhhh, multiply on the right!

7. Mar 15, 2013 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Right! No pun intended.

8. Mar 15, 2013 #7

Lol thanks

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted