1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linear Algebra Question

1. Oct 5, 2014 #1
    ifx06a.jpg

Please help me to understand the solution :( (I have made the sketch, is it correct?, where has the 1/4 comes from? is it like 1:3 (1 ratio 3) => numerator divided by numerator + denominator = 1/1+3 =1/4 (as given on page 6 at http://www.lowndes.k12.ga.us/view/14167.pdf [Broken] )? or am I wrong? For point position vector b in the solution the point B is on the left side from P (as A is on the right side of P)?)

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 5, 2014 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Your sketch isn't very accurate. It looks like A is more than 1/3 of the way along the segment between P and Q. From the problem description, the length of AQ is three times the length of AP, so A should be 1/4 of the way from P to Q.

I don't understand what you're asking here. What point B?

4. Oct 5, 2014 #3

Mentallic

Homework Helper

It is 1/(1+3) = 1/4. If it were 1/3, then A would be a distance of x from P while A will be a distance of 2x from Q. Can you see this? This would make the ratio 1:2 as opposed to 1:3.

Yes, except that the question doesn't introduce a new point B, it just asked whether A is uniquely determinable, which is no because it can be found on the left side of P as well. A has two possible positions.

5. Oct 6, 2014 #4

Fredrik

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The line through P and Q is the map ##t\mapsto p+t(q-p)##. Note that this map takes 0 to p and 1 to q. So if we restrict the domain of this map to [0,1], we get the line segment from P to Q. The expression p+t(q-p) can be interpreted as "start at p and take t steps of length |q-p| in the direction towards q". (I know that ##t\leq 1##, but you can certainly imagine taking less than one step; half a step would be a step that's half as long). How big a step would you have to take to end up at a point that's three times as far from P as from Q?

The distinction between P and p is kind of nonsensical if you're working with the vector space ##\mathbb R^3##. It makes sense when you're working with a 3-dimensional affine space, but my guess is that this is from a book that doesn't mention affine spaces.

For the second part, I would find all ##t\in\mathbb R## such that ##|a-p|=3|a-q|##, where ##a=p+t(q-p)=(1-t)p+tq##.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2014
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook