What is the Expansion by Minors in Linear Algebra?

In summary, the rule for simplifying the calculation of a determinant by removing the i'th row and j'th column is called "expansion by minors". This involves calculating the minor for each element in a chosen row or column and then taking the determinant as the sum of the product of each element and its minor, with a sign determined by the sum of i and j. And to square a matrix, one must multiply the matrix by itself, not the individual elements. This can be done by treating each row of the first matrix as a vector and multiplying it with each column of the second matrix.
Bob19
if one is presented with an n x n where n = 4.

What is the rule called which allows the i'th row and the j'th column to be removed from the matrix in order to make calculating the determinant easier ?

Secondly if one wants to square [tex] \left[ \begin{array}{cccc} 2 & 5 & 7 & 6 \\ 2 & 9 & 2 & 1 \\ 0 & 1 & -2 & 1 \\ 6 & 7 & 1 & -5\end{array}\right ] ^2[/tex]

Do I square every element of matrix individually ?

/Bob

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Bob19 said:
if one is presented with an n x n where n = 4.

What is the rule called which allows the i'th row and the j'th column to be removed from the matrix in order to make calculating the determinant easier ?

What you are talking about is "expansion by minors". The (n-1) x(n-1) matrix you get by removing the "i'th row and j'th column is the "minor" at that point. Choose anyone row or column, calculate the minor for each element in that row or column. The determinant is the sum of the product of the element itself times its minor times either plus or minus one, depending on whether i+j is even or odd.

Secondly if one wants to square [tex] \left[ \begin{array}{cccc} 2 & 5 & 7 & 6 \\ 2 & 9 & 2 & 1 \\ 0 & 1 & -2 & 1 \\ 6 & 7 & 1 & -5\end{array}\right ] ^2[/tex]

Do I square every element of matrix individually ?

/Bob

No! squaring a matrix means multiplying the matrix by itself, not the individual elements. You won't be able to square a matrix if you don't know how to multiply two matrices. The simplest way to remember that is to think of each row of the first matrix and each column of the second as "vectors". The i, j element of the product is the dot product of the ith row of the first matrix and the jth column of the second.

I think Bob may have been asking about row/column transformations to simplify the evaluation of a determinant.

I don't. He specifically said "which allows the i'th row and the j'th column to be removed from the matrix". That's the "expansion by minors", not "row reduction".

1. What is Linear Algebra?

Linear Algebra is a branch of mathematics that deals with linear equations, matrices, vector spaces, and linear transformations. It provides tools and techniques for solving systems of linear equations and analyzing geometric relationships between vectors.

2. What are the applications of Linear Algebra?

Linear Algebra has many real-world applications, including computer graphics, data analysis, machine learning, cryptography, and engineering. It is used in various fields, such as physics, economics, and statistics, to model and solve complex problems.

3. What are the basic concepts of Linear Algebra?

The basic concepts of Linear Algebra include vectors, matrices, vector spaces, linear transformations, and systems of linear equations. Vectors are quantities with both magnitude and direction, while matrices are rectangular arrays of numbers. Vector spaces are sets of vectors that satisfy certain properties, and linear transformations are functions that preserve linear relationships between vectors.

4. What is the difference between a vector and a matrix?

A vector is a one-dimensional array of numbers, while a matrix is a two-dimensional array of numbers. Vectors can be thought of as points in space, while matrices can be thought of as collections of points or transformations of space. Vectors are used to represent quantities with magnitude and direction, while matrices are used to represent linear transformations and systems of equations.

5. How is Linear Algebra related to other branches of mathematics?

Linear Algebra is closely related to other branches of mathematics, such as calculus, differential equations, and abstract algebra. It provides the foundation for many advanced mathematical concepts and techniques, including eigenvalues and eigenvectors, inner products, and diagonalization. It also has connections to geometry, as it deals with the geometric properties of vectors and matrices.