1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linear Algebra questions

1. Feb 9, 2005 #1
    Suppose the last column of AB is zero, but B has no zero columns itself. What do we know about A?

So, Ab(sub)n = 0, but b(sub)n != 0. I have the answer, but I want to make sure I understand it. Going back to Linear Independence section I see that an indexed set of vectors {v1, ... vp} in Rn is linearly dependent if there exist weights c1..., cp, not all zero such that c1v1 + .. + cpvp = 0

So, I figure, plug in 'bn' for 'cp' and make the set {v1, ... vp} be the columns of A, and you would have A is Linearly dependent if B has columns, not all zero, that make a1v1 + ... anvn = 0.

So the proof then is that since we know that B has columns not all zero (in fact, it has no zero columns at all), then A must be linearly dependent.

Is this the right way to figure this? They give the right answer, but not the logic in the answer key. Furthermore, is there a way to remember this type of thing? Is there some logical way to prove this for myself aside from just knowing the theorum?

-------------------------------
    another question I don't get :

Let A = [2,5;-3,1] and B = [4,-5;3,k]. What value of k, if any, will make AB = BA.

I got as far as figuring that 6-3k = -9 and 5k-10 = 15. So, solving for each, I get k = 5 and k = -1. But, the answer is k-5. Is the wording of the question wrong, or what is my problem here? Is there a simple algebra trick to this?

Thanks!
    Angela.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 9, 2005 #2

Galileo

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Your first answer is correct. Ab_n is the last column of AB and is linear combination of the column vectors of A. Since b_n is not zero, the columns of A are dependent.

For the second question. Solving 6-3k=-9 correctly gives k=5.
    Likewise 5k-10=15 also yields k=5.

4. Feb 9, 2005 #3
    doh, nevermind!! k does equal 5 (lord help me, i'm algebra deficient! lol!)

---
    I understand that A is dependent if it has non-pivot columns, and I guess that if a column is zero it obviously isn't a pivot column and therefore has a free variable and is dependent. I guess that would be a better way to remember for me, is that right?

Thanks!! :)
    Angela.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2005
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?