Linear Algebra Basics: True/False Questions and Rank Properties

In summary, the first statement is true because a subspace of R^n with a basis of 5 vectors must have dimension 5, meaning n must be greater than or equal to 5. The second statement is false because if a 6x7 matrix has a rank of 3, then it only has 3 linearly independent column vectors, not 5. It is important to understand the definition and properties of rank in order to answer such questions correctly.
Tony11235
I have a few true/false/depends questions.

If a subspace of R^n has a basis consisting of 5 vectors then n is greater than equal to 5. I say it's true because 5 linearly independent vectors span R^5. Is that correct?

If the rank of a 6x7 matrix A is 3 then A^T has 5 linearly independent column vectors. I am not sure on this. Any help would be nice.

Physics news on Phys.org
The first one is false, because it is not true for n greater than 5.

Claude.

Tony11235 said:
I have a few true/false/depends questions.

If a subspace of R^n has a basis consisting of 5 vectors then n is greater than equal to 5. I say it's true because 5 linearly independent vectors span R^5. Is that correct?
Yes, it is true. If the subspace has a basis consisting of 5 vectors, then it has dimension 5. Certainly it can't be a subspace of Rn if n is less than 5 (but Rn is a subspace of itself). Notice that you must say "greater than or equal to 5" because we are talking about a subspace, not Rn itself.
(That's why Claude Bile's answer is incorrect. I suspect he confused the subspace with Rn itself.)

If the rank of a 6x7 matrix A is 3 then A^T has 5 linearly independent column vectors. I am not sure on this. Any help would be nice.
No, if the rank is 3 then it has 3 linearly independent column vectors. How did you get 5?

I didn't come up with 5, it was a true/false/depends question on my homework.

Okay, then it's false!

you need to go back and learn what rank means and what its properties are. otherwise even halls' (correct) statement will not do you much good.

1. What is linear algebra and why is it important?

Linear algebra is a branch of mathematics that deals with linear equations and their representations in vector spaces. It is an important tool in various fields such as physics, engineering, computer science, and economics. It helps in solving systems of equations, understanding geometric transformations, and analyzing data.

2. What are the basic concepts in linear algebra?

The basic concepts in linear algebra include vectors, matrices, systems of linear equations, eigenvalues and eigenvectors, and vector spaces. These concepts are used to represent and solve problems related to linear transformations, linear independence, and linear combinations.

3. How is linear algebra used in data analysis?

Linear algebra is used extensively in data analysis and machine learning. It helps in representing and manipulating large datasets, identifying patterns and relationships between variables, and performing dimensionality reduction. It also plays a crucial role in developing algorithms for tasks such as image and signal processing, recommendation systems, and natural language processing.

4. What are some real-world applications of linear algebra?

Linear algebra has many real-world applications, including computer graphics, physics simulations, cryptography, robotics, and economics. It is used in designing computer games, modeling physical systems, securing communication channels, controlling robots, and predicting market trends.

5. What are some resources for learning linear algebra?

There are many resources available for learning linear algebra, including textbooks, online courses, and video lectures. Some popular textbooks include "Linear Algebra Done Right" by Sheldon Axler and "Introduction to Linear Algebra" by Gilbert Strang. Online courses from platforms like Coursera and edX also offer comprehensive lessons on linear algebra. There are also many video lectures available on YouTube from universities like MIT and Khan Academy.