Linear Algebra Questions

• Thread starter Tony11235
  • Start date
I have a few true/false/depends questions.

If a subspace of R^n has a basis consisting of 5 vectors then n is greater than equal to 5. I say it's true because 5 linearly independent vectors span R^5. Is that correct?

If the rank of a 6x7 matrix A is 3 then A^T has 5 linearly independent column vectors. I am not sure on this. Any help would be nice.

Answers and Replies

Claude Bile
Science Advisor
The first one is false, because it is not true for n greater than 5.

Claude.

HallsofIvy
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Tony11235 said:
I have a few true/false/depends questions.

If a subspace of R^n has a basis consisting of 5 vectors then n is greater than equal to 5. I say it's true because 5 linearly independent vectors span R^5. Is that correct?
Yes, it is true. If the subspace has a basis consisting of 5 vectors, then it has dimension 5. Certainly it can't be a subspace of Rn if n is less than 5 (but Rn is a subspace of itself). Notice that you must say "greater than or equal to 5" because we are talking about a subspace, not Rn itself.
(That's why Claude Bile's answer is incorrect. I suspect he confused the subspace with Rn itself.)

If the rank of a 6x7 matrix A is 3 then A^T has 5 linearly independent column vectors. I am not sure on this. Any help would be nice.
No, if the rank is 3 then it has 3 linearly independent column vectors. How did you get 5?

I didn't come up with 5, it was a true/false/depends question on my homework.

HallsofIvy
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Okay, then it's false!

mathwonk
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
2020 Award
you need to go back and learn what rank means and what its properties are. otherwise even halls' (correct) statement will not do you much good.