Linear Algebra Quiz Help: Find Canonical Basis & Solution Space Dimension

In summary, Linear Algebra is a branch of mathematics that deals with linear equations, matrices, and vector spaces. It has many practical applications in fields such as engineering, computer science, and economics. The basic concepts include vectors, matrices, systems of linear equations, eigenvalues and eigenvectors, and determinants. In data analysis, Linear Algebra is crucial for manipulating and analyzing large datasets efficiently. While a strong math background is helpful, anyone can understand Linear Algebra with practice and dedication.
JasonJo
I just got my quiz back and i bombed it, and my teacher neglected going through it, hoping you guys could help me out with it

1) Find the canonical basis for the solution space of the homogeneous system, and state the dimension of the space.

3x1 + x2 + x3 + x4 = 0
5x1 - x2 + x3 - x4 = 0

how do i even begin this problem? I believe I set up the augmented matrix and reduce it to reduced row echelon form or no?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yep. Sweep the matrix.

First of all, don't worry if you didn't do well on the quiz. It's important to learn from mistakes and seek help when needed. Let's go through the problem step by step.

1) To find the canonical basis for the solution space, we need to solve the system of equations. To do this, we can set up the augmented matrix:

[3 1 1 1 0]
[5 -1 1 -1 0]

Note that the last column is all zeros since the system is homogeneous. Then, we can reduce the matrix to its reduced row echelon form using row operations. This will give us:

[1 0 2 0 0]
[0 1 -1 0 0]

2) Now, we can express the solution space in terms of the free variables. In this case, we have two free variables, x3 and x4. So, our solution space can be represented as:

x1 = -2x3
x2 = x3
x4 = x4

3) To find the canonical basis, we need to express the solution space in terms of vectors. We can choose two vectors, one for each free variable, and use them to represent the solution space. So, our canonical basis is:

B = {(-2, 1, 0, 0), (0, 0, 1, 0)}

4) Finally, the dimension of the solution space is equal to the number of free variables, which in this case is 2. So, the dimension of the solution space is 2.

I hope this helps you understand the problem better. Remember to practice more problems and seek help when needed. Good luck on your future quizzes and exams!

1. What is Linear Algebra and why is it important?

Linear Algebra is a branch of mathematics that deals with linear equations, matrices, and vector spaces. It is used to solve systems of linear equations and model real-world problems. It is important in many fields such as engineering, computer science, physics, and economics.

2. How can Linear Algebra be applied in real life?

Linear Algebra has many practical applications in our daily lives. It is used in image and signal processing, machine learning and artificial intelligence, cryptography, and even in video game graphics. It is also used in social media platforms to recommend posts or ads based on user preferences.

3. What are the basic concepts in Linear Algebra?

The basic concepts in Linear Algebra include vectors, matrices, systems of linear equations, eigenvalues and eigenvectors, and determinants. These concepts are used to perform operations such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and inversion of matrices, as well as solving systems of equations using methods like Gaussian elimination and Cramer's rule.

4. What are the benefits of using Linear Algebra in data analysis?

Linear Algebra is essential in data analysis because it provides tools for manipulating and analyzing large datasets efficiently. It allows for the transformation of data into a more manageable form and enables the use of statistical techniques such as regression analysis and principal component analysis to extract meaningful insights from the data.

5. Do I need to have strong math skills to understand Linear Algebra?

While a solid foundation in mathematics is helpful, it is not a requirement to understand Linear Algebra. With dedication and practice, anyone can grasp the fundamental concepts and apply them to solve problems. It is also important to understand the applications of Linear Algebra in order to see its relevance and relevance in various fields.