1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linear Algebra:Rank

1. Feb 21, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let A be the following 3 × 3 matrix:
    A =([4 2 6],[2 1 3],[2 1 3])
    i) Find the rank of A
    ii) Show that there exists an 3 × 2 matrix W, of rank 2, such that AW = 0.
    iii) Construct one such matrix W.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I think the answer to part 1 is rank(A)=1 since row 2 and row 3 are the same and row 1 is just twice row 2 or twice row 3. So there is only one independent row.

I'm not sure how to prove the existence of W however. Do I use the rank-nullity theorem in some way? i.e. rank(a)+nullity(a)=n where A is a mxn matrix. In this case the nullity(A)=1. Any help would be much appreciated.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 21, 2013 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Yes, the rank of A is 1. Frankly, I would "prove" the existence of W by finding W! (Especially since the third part of the problem asks you to find it.)

You want a "3 x 2" matrix, W, such that AW= 0. Okay:
    [tex]\begin{bmatrix}4 & 2 & 6 \\ 2 & 1 & 3 \\ 2 & 1 & 3\end{bmatrix}\begin{bmatrix}a & b \\ c & d \\ e & f\end{bmatrix}= \begin{bmatrix}4a+ 2c+ 6e & 4b+ 2d+ 6f \\ 2a+ c+ 3e & 2b+ d+ 3f \\ 2a+ c+ 3e & 2b+ d+ 3f \end{bmatrix}= \begin{bmatrix}0 & 0 \\ 0 & 0 \\ 0 & 0\end{bmatrix}[/tex]

So we have the equations 4a+ 2c+ 6e= 0, 4b+ 2d+ 6f= 0, 2a+ c+ 3e= 0, 2b+ d+ 3f= 0, 2a+ c+ 3e= 0, and 2b+d+ 3f= 0. Of course, the third and fifth equations are the same as are the fourth and sixth equation. In fact, those reduce to only two independent equations. Solve those so that the W matrix has rank 2.

4. Feb 21, 2013 #3

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, that's right.
    You have ##\textrm{rank}(A) = 1##, and ##n = 3##, so ##\textrm{nullity}(A) = 2##, not ##1##. That means that you can find two linearly independent vectors, say ##w_1## and ##w_2##, in the kernel (null space) of ##A##. That is to say, they will satisfy ##Aw_1 = 0## and ##Aw_2 = 0##. If you construct your ##W## matrix so that its two columns consist of ##w_1## and ##w_2##, then you can easily check that this will give you ##AW = 0##.

5. Feb 21, 2013 #4

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Halls beat me to it! And his method will be more useful for the next part as it shows you how to find ##w_1## and ##w_2##. Mine is just an existence proof, but hopefully it makes it clear why it should be possible to find such a ##W##.

6. Feb 23, 2013 #5
    THat's great, thank you both for your help

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook