Linear Algebra- Spanning Sets definition

In summary, a basis for R3 must contain a sufficient number of linearly independent vectors to span the entire vector space. In this case, {e1, e2} is not a basis for R3 because it only contains two vectors and cannot span the entire space. However, {e1, e2, e3} is a basis for R3 because it contains three linearly independent vectors that can span the entire space. Additionally, {e1} is not a basis for R3 because it only contains one vector and can only span a one-dimensional subspace of R3.
Roni1985
Linear Algebra- Basis

Homework Statement

Is {e1,e2} a basis for R3 ?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that {e1,e2,e3} is a basis for R3

same here,

Is this one a basis for R3
{(1,1,2)T,(2,2,5)T}

I know that
{(1,1,2)T,(2,2,5)T,(3,4,1)T}
is a basis for R3.

Perhaps, I am a little unclear with the definition.

Would appreciate any help.

Roni

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
If you know that {e1,e2,e3} is a basis, then, by the definition of a basis...what can you say about {e1,e2}?

Following Tinyboss's lead, what is the definition of a basis?

Tinyboss said:
If you know that {e1,e2,e3} is a basis, then, by the definition of a basis...what can you say about {e1,e2}?

This is the part I don't understand...

Mark44 said:
Following Tinyboss's lead, what is the definition of a basis?

the vectors must be independent and they must span R^3

but say I have {e1,e2} only. they are independent and they span R^3 (they do span R^3, right?)

They are linearly independent but there are only two of them. How many vectors must there be in a basis for R^3?

Mark44 said:
They are linearly independent but there are only two of them. How many vectors must there be in a basis for R^3?

Well, the logic says 3, but I don't understand why 3 ?

and I guess if it's there {e1,e2} is missing 1 vector.
but why 3 ?
here is another example {(1,1,2)^T,(2,2,5)^T}

Thanks for your help.

The number of vectors in a basis for a vector space is equal to the dimension of the vector space. For R^1, any basis must have 1 vector, for R^2, any basis must have two vectors, and so on. If a set contains fewer vectors than the dimension of the vector space it needs to span, it can't possibly span the space, hence can't be a basis.

With your first example, where e1 = (1, 0, 0)^T and e2 = (0, 1, 0)^T, is there some linear combination of these vectors that generates (0, 2, 5)^T?

Mark44 said:
The number of vectors in a basis for a vector space is equal to the dimension of the vector space. For R^1, any basis must have 1 vector, for R^2, any basis must have two vectors, and so on. If a set contains fewer vectors than the dimension of the vector space it needs to span, it can't possibly span the space, hence can't be a basis.

With your first example, where e1 = (1, 0, 0)^T and e2 = (0, 1, 0)^T, is there some linear combination of these vectors that generates (0, 2, 5)^T?

I think I understand it...
I guess I'll need to sit on it a little more.

Thank you very much for your help:)

Mark44 said:
If a set contains fewer vectors than the dimension of the vector space it needs to span, it can't possibly span the space, hence can't be a basis.

Now this part is confusing me.

So,
{e1,e2} can't span R^3 ?

Oh they must span R^2 with two rows only, right?

what about {(1,1,2)^T,(2,2,5)^T}, what do they span ? R^3?! ( they have two vectors) , R^2 ?! (they have 3 rows so they can't really span R^2, right?!)

Thanks.

Roni1985 said:
Now this part is confusing me.

So,
{e1,e2} can't span R^3 ?

Oh they must span R^2 with two rows only, right?

Not exactly. In this context, e1 and e2 are elements of R^3, so they are NOT elements of R^2 and therefore cannot span R^2. They do span something that is very similar to R^2, though. Can you see what it is?

what about {(1,1,2)^T,(2,2,5)^T}, what do they span ? R^3?! ( they have two vectors) , R^2 ?! (they have 3 rows so they can't really span R^2, right?!)

Same deal here, the vectors are in R^3, so they aren't in R^2 and can't span R^2. Have you learned what a "subspace" is yet?

jbunniii said:
Not exactly. In this context, e1 and e2 are elements of R^3, so they are NOT elements of R^2 and therefore cannot span R^2. They do span something that is very similar to R^2, though. Can you see what it is?

Same deal here, the vectors are in R^3, so they aren't in R^2 and can't span R^2. Have you learned what a "subspace" is yet?

We studied all this, but the professor wasn't really helpful, so everything is on me...
Let me see if I undertand.
{e1,e2} does span R^3 but it doesn't include ALL vectors in the plane that's created.
However,
{e1,e2,e3} also spans R^3 but it forms a solid which is spread throughout all R^3, therefore, it includes ALL vectors in R^3

and {e1} also spans R^3 but it forms a line and any combination of it must be on the line. However, there lots of vectors that are not on the line, therefore, this one cat be a basis for R^3 either.

Right?

Thanks a lot for your help.

Roni1985 said:
We studied all this, but the professor wasn't really helpful, so everything is on me...
Let me see if I undertand.
{e1,e2} does span R^3 but it doesn't include ALL vectors in the plane that's created.

No, it does not span R^3. You need at least three vectors to do that.

{e1,e2} spans a 2-dimensional plane (subspace) contained within R^3.

Think of the x-y plane in Euclidean 3-space. That plane is spanned by two vectors, for example, the unit vectors in the x- and y-directions. The coordinates of these vectors are (1,0,0) and (0,1,0). This plane is not the same as R^2, where the vectors have only two coordinates. But it's equivalent in a certain mathematical sense (we say that the x-y plane within R^3 is ISOMORPHIC to R^2).

However,
{e1,e2,e3} also spans R^3 but it forms a solid which is spread throughout all R^3, therefore, it includes ALL vectors in R^3

This is what is meant by "spanning" R^3. ANY vector in R^3 can be formed by an appropriate linear combination of e1, e2, and e2. This is NOT true if you only use e1 and e2, and thus {e1,e2} does not span R^3.

and {e1} also spans R^3

No. It spans a one-dimensional line (subspace) contained in R^3. That line is isomorphic to R^1.

but it forms a line and any combination of it must be on the line. However, there lots of vectors that are not on the line, therefore, this one cat be a basis for R^3 either.

Right, it's not a basis for R^3, BECAUSE it does not span R^3.

There are two things that must be true in order for a set of vectors to be a basis for a vector space:

(1) the vectors must span the whole space
(2) the vectors must be linearly independent.

{e1,e2,e2} are linearly independent, and so are any subset of them, so (2) is not the problem here. But in order to achieve (1) you need to have enough vectors. R^3 has dimension 3, and that means you need at least 3 vectors to span it. Furthermore, you can't have MORE than 3 linearly independent vectors in a 3-dimensional space, so if the vectors are to form a basis (a stronger condition than simply spanning the space) you need to have exactly three (linearly independent) vectors.

jbunniii said:
No, it does not span R^3. You need at least three vectors to do that.

{e1,e2} spans a 2-dimensional plane (subspace) contained within R^3.

Think of the x-y plane in Euclidean 3-space. That plane is spanned by two vectors, for example, the unit vectors in the x- and y-directions. The coordinates of these vectors are (1,0,0) and (0,1,0). This plane is not the same as R^2, where the vectors have only two coordinates. But it's equivalent in a certain mathematical sense (we say that the x-y plane within R^3 is ISOMORPHIC to R^2).

This is what is meant by "spanning" R^3. ANY vector in R^3 can be formed by an appropriate linear combination of e1, e2, and e2. This is NOT true if you only use e1 and e2, and thus {e1,e2} does not span R^3.

No. It spans a one-dimensional line (subspace) contained in R^3. That line is isomorphic to R^1.

Right, it's not a basis for R^3, BECAUSE it does not span R^3.

There are two things that must be true in order for a set of vectors to be a basis for a vector space:

(1) the vectors must span the whole space
(2) the vectors must be linearly independent.

{e1,e2,e2} are linearly independent, and so are any subset of them, so (2) is not the problem here. But in order to achieve (1) you need to have enough vectors. R^3 has dimension 3, and that means you need at least 3 vectors to span it. Furthermore, you can't have MORE than 3 linearly independent vectors in a 3-dimensional space, so if the vectors are to form a basis (a stronger condition than simply spanning the space) you need to have exactly three (linearly independent) vectors.

Oh, I think I got it...
{e1,e2} span some subspace which is part of R^3, but it doesn't span R^3 because I can't create any vector in R^3 with the linear combination of e1 and e2.

Thank you so much for your help.

1. What is a spanning set in linear algebra?

A spanning set in linear algebra is a set of vectors that can be used to create any other vector in a particular vector space through linear combinations. This means that by scaling and adding the vectors in the spanning set, any vector in the vector space can be represented.

2. How is a spanning set different from a basis in linear algebra?

A spanning set and a basis are both sets of vectors that can be used to represent any other vector in a vector space. However, a basis is a spanning set that is also linearly independent, meaning that none of the vectors in the basis can be written as a linear combination of the other vectors. In other words, a basis is a minimal spanning set that is also linearly independent.

3. How do you determine if a set of vectors is a spanning set?

To determine if a set of vectors is a spanning set, you can check if any vector in the vector space can be written as a linear combination of the vectors in the set. This can be done by setting up a system of equations and solving for the coefficients. If a solution exists, then the set is a spanning set.

4. Can a spanning set contain more vectors than the dimension of the vector space?

Yes, a spanning set can contain more vectors than the dimension of the vector space. In fact, a spanning set can contain an infinite number of vectors, as long as they are all linearly independent and can be used to represent any other vector in the vector space.

5. Why is the concept of spanning sets important in linear algebra?

The concept of spanning sets is important in linear algebra because it allows us to represent any vector in a vector space using a set of simpler vectors. This makes it easier to perform calculations and solve problems involving vectors. Additionally, spanning sets are used to define other important concepts in linear algebra, such as bases, linear independence, and dimension.