1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linear Algebra, spans

1. Mar 26, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    [​IMG]

2. Relevant equations
    I think I get the basic concept of spans (all possible combinations of vectors with all possible scalers).

3. The attempt at a solution:blushing:
    It seems obvious that the span of S would have to be in the span of T, I don't understand what is left to "prove". I have not done a lot of proofs. I don't know where to begin with this problem.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 26, 2008 #2

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

To prove a set A is a subset of some other set B, you must show that every element of A is also an element of B.

In your case, this will follow very easily from the definitions of span(S) and span(T).

4. Mar 26, 2008 #3
    [​IMG]
    Thank you quasar987,
    I don't know how I could better state what seems obvious.

Maybe it should say 'All possible linear combinations...'

I won't be including the definition (or my misspelling, the definition was copied from my text book). Sorry if this seems dumb; maybe I'm not clear what proofs are about; the premise of the question almost seems like proof.

5. Mar 26, 2008 #4

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I understand how you feel perfectly. Feels like I was there yesterday!

But stick to it... as you read more proofs and attempt to write some yourself, you will eventually see a pattern in the techniques used and you will pick up the proper vocabulary for writing proofs.

In the meantime, I give you this to feed on. Compare my proof to yours.

Proof: Let [tex]s=c_1v_1+...+c_kv_k[/tex] be an element of span(S).

We want to show that s is an element of span(T) also.

Recall that span(T) is the set of all elements of the form [tex]t=d_1v_1+...+d_mv_m[/tex]. In particular, for [tex]d_1=c_1,...,d_k=c_k[/tex] and [tex]d_{k+1}=...=d_m=0[/tex], we get that [tex]c_1v_1+...+c_kv_k+0v_{k+1}+...+0v_m=c_1v_1+...+c_kv_k=s[/tex] is an element of span(T).

Since the element s is arbitrary, it follows that all elements of span(S) are in span(T); that is to say, span(S) is a subset of span(T).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?