Linear Algebra: Subspace Sum: What is U + U?

In summary, we discussed the two definitions of a subspace sum and solved a specific example to determine that U+U=U holds in general. We also proved that a subspace is closed under linear combinations, leading to the conclusion that U+U=\{u+v~\vert~u,v\in U\}.
tylerc1991

Homework Statement

Suppose [itex]U[/itex] is a subspace of [itex]V[/itex]. What is [itex]U + U[/itex]?

Homework Equations

There are two definitions of a subspace sum that I know of (the first is the definition given in my book):
(1) [itex]U_1 + U_2 = \{ u_1 + u_2 : u_1 \in U_1, u_2 \in U_2 \}[/itex]
(2) [itex]U_1 + U_2 = \text{ span} ( U_1 \, \bigcup \, U_2)[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Before I tried to solve the general problem, I thought about a specific example. Suppose that [itex]U = \{ (x,y) \in \mathbb{R}^2 : y = x \} \subseteq \mathbb{R}^2[/itex]. Now [itex]U + U = U[/itex]. So I should expect the same answer in general.

Using the first definition of a subspace sum:
[itex]U + U = \{ u + u : u \in U \} = \{ 2u : u \in U \}[/itex]

Using the second definition of a subspace sum:
[itex]U + U = \text{ span} (U \, \bigcup \, U) = \text{ span}(U) = \{ au : a \in \mathbb{F}, u \in U \}[/itex].

While these are very similar(one is a special case of the other), I am leaning towards the second answer. That being said, how could I have come up with the second answer using the first definition of a subspace sum?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi tylerc! :smile:

tylerc1991 said:

Homework Statement

Suppose [itex]U[/itex] is a subspace of [itex]V[/itex]. What is [itex]U + U[/itex]?

Homework Equations

There are two definitions of a subspace sum that I know of (the first is the definition given in my book):
(1) [itex]U_1 + U_2 = \{ u_1 + u_2 : u_1 \in U_1, u_2 \in U_2 \}[/itex]
(2) [itex]U_1 + U_2 = \text{ span} ( U_1 \, \bigcup \, U_2)[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Before I tried to solve the general problem, I thought about a specific example. Suppose that [itex]U = \{ (x,y) \in \mathbb{R}^2 : y = x \} \subseteq \mathbb{R}^2[/itex]. Now [itex]U + U = U[/itex]. So I should expect the same answer in general.

Yes, U+U=U holds in general!

Using the first definition of a subspace sum:
[itex]U + U = \{ u + u : u \in U \} = \{ 2u : u \in U \}[/itex]

You have used the first definition incorrectly here. It should be

[tex]U+U=\{u+v~\vert~u,v\in U\}[/tex]

Now, you must prove that this is contained in U. Hint: U is a subspace and hence closed under addition.

Using the second definition of a subspace sum:
[itex]U + U = \text{ span} (U \, \bigcup \, U) = \text{ span}(U) = \{ au : a \in \mathbb{F}, u \in U \}[/itex].

Isn't it easy to see that span(U)=U because U is a subspace? Try to prove it otherwise.
By the way, your definition of span is also not correct (well, it is in this case, but whatever). In general, the span of X is

[tex]span(X)=\{\alpha_1x_1+...+\alpha_nx_n~\vert~i\in \mathbb{N}_0, \alpha_i\in \mathbb{F}, x_i\in X\}[/tex]

If you don't know the thing I mentioned before (if X is a subspace, then span(X)=X), try to prove it. Hint: a subspace is closed under linear combinations...

micromass said:
[tex]U+U=\{u+v~\vert~u,v\in U\}[/tex]

I see. So, since [itex]u + v \in U[/itex] for any [itex]u,v \in U[/itex], [itex]\{ u + v : u,v \in U \} = \{ u : u \in U \}[/itex]? And hence [itex]U + U = U[/itex]?

micromass said:
[tex]span(X)=\{\alpha_1x_1+...+\alpha_nx_n~\vert~i\in \mathbb{N}_0, \alpha_i\in \mathbb{F}, x_i\in X\}[/tex]

I am guessing this would be shown similar to above, only this way is more general. Formal proofs aside, I can definitely see that subspaces are closed under linear combinations. So [itex]\{ a_1u_1 + a_2u_2 + \dots + a_nu_n : n \in \mathbb{N}, a_n \in \mathbb{F}, u_n \in U \} = \{ u : u \in U \}[/itex]?

tylerc1991 said:
I see. So, since [itex]u + v \in U[/itex] for any [itex]u,v \in U[/itex], [itex]\{ u + v : u,v \in U \} = \{ u : u \in U \}[/itex]? And hence [itex]U + U = U[/itex]?

I am guessing this would be shown similar to above, only this way is more general. Formal proofs aside, I can definitely see that subspaces are closed under linear combinations. So [itex]\{ a_1u_1 + a_2u_2 + \dots + a_nu_n : n \in \mathbb{N}, a_n \in \mathbb{F}, u_n \in U \} = \{ u : u \in U \}[/itex]?

Yes, that is correct. I may complain however that you've only proved

[tex]\{ u + v : u,v \in U \} \subseteq \{ u : u \in U \}[/tex]

You still may want to show that every u can be written in the form u+v. But this is quite easy, and you probably knew it already. But I just wanted to make it clear...

micromass said:
Yes, that is correct. I may complain however that you've only proved

[tex]\{ u + v : u,v \in U \} \subseteq \{ u : u \in U \}[/tex]

You still may want to show that every u can be written in the form u+v. But this is quite easy, and you probably knew it already. But I just wanted to make it clear...

Got it! I will definitely formalize it when I am writing the final answer. Thank you very much for your help!

1. What is a subspace sum in linear algebra?

A subspace sum is the combination of two or more subspaces in linear algebra. It is denoted as V + W, where V and W are subspaces of a vector space. The subspace sum contains all possible linear combinations of vectors from both subspaces.

2. How is a subspace sum different from a regular vector sum?

A regular vector sum is the combination of two or more vectors using addition. A subspace sum, on the other hand, involves the combination of subspaces using linear combinations. This means that the resulting subspace sum will still be a subspace, while the resulting vector sum may not be a vector space.

3. Can a subspace sum contain more than two subspaces?

Yes, a subspace sum can contain any number of subspaces. For example, if we have three subspaces V, W, and X, the subspace sum would be denoted as V + W + X and would contain all possible linear combinations of vectors from these three subspaces.

4. What is the significance of a subspace sum in linear algebra?

The subspace sum is an important concept in linear algebra as it allows us to combine and study multiple subspaces at once. It also helps in understanding the relationship between different subspaces and their properties.

5. What are some real-world applications of subspace sum in linear algebra?

Subspace sum has various applications in fields such as computer graphics, machine learning, and engineering. For example, in computer graphics, subspace sum is used to create smooth animations by combining different subspaces representing different movements. In machine learning, subspace sum is used to analyze and classify data from multiple sources.