1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linear algebra, subspace

1. Feb 9, 2010 #1
    Let V be a 9 dimensional vector space and let U and W
    be five dimensional subspaces of V with the bases Bu
    and Bw respectively,
    (a) show that if Bu intersect Bw is empty then
    Bu union Bw is linearly dependen
    (b)use part (a) to prove U intersect W is not
    equal to the 0 vector
    now i have already done part (a), now i have already
    done part (a). can you please help me..

for part a.. this is what i have briefly....
    we know Bu intersect Bw has nothing in common.
    Since Bu and Bw is a basis we know that it is linearly independent.
    Therefore Let bu be a linearly independent
    subset of a vector space V and let Bw be a
    vector in V that is not in Bu, then Bu union Bw
    is linearly dependent iff Bw is in the span of Bu... (by a theorem)
    by definition of a basis we know, span ( Bu) = v
    therefore, the question now is if Bw is in V
    which is true ( definition of a basis)... therefore
    Bu union Bw is linearly dependent if Bu intersect Bw is nothing...
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 9, 2010 #2
    my homework is due tomorrow... if some one can help me before then or even give me a clue.. it will be appreciated.... :)
  4. Feb 9, 2010 #3
    Your argument is severely confused.
    Here you have just defined [tex]B_U[/tex] for the second time, which won't fly. Either [tex]B_U[/tex] is a basis for [tex]U[/tex], or [tex]B_U[/tex] is an arbitrarily chosen linearly independent subset of [tex]V[/tex]. The first is what the problem says.
    No. For a single vector [tex]w[/tex], [tex]B_U \cup \{w\}[/tex] is linearly dependent if and only if [tex]w \in \mathop{\mathrm{span}} B_U[/tex]. It is false that [tex]B_U \cup B_W[/tex] is linearly dependent iff [tex]B_W \subset \mathop{\mathrm{span}} B_U[/tex], because [tex]B_W[/tex] has more than one vector in it (try to construct some simple examples in [tex]\mathbb{R}^3[/tex] with [tex]B_U[/tex] and [tex]B_W[/tex] having two elements each).
    No. [tex]B_U[/tex] is a basis for [tex]U[/tex], not [tex]V[/tex]; [tex]\mathop{\mathrm{span}} B_U = U[/tex].
    It seems like you are thinking much too hard. The dimension of [tex]V[/tex] is 9. If [tex]B_U[/tex] and [tex]B_W[/tex] are disjoint, what is the size of the set [tex]B_U \cup B_W[/tex]? Can this set be linearly independent?
  5. Feb 18, 2010 #4
    sorry about the late reply... I am kinda new to physics forum.....
    I am actually completely lost with this problem...... well i would guess the Bu U Bw is linearly independent.. right? because any basis by definition is linearly independent..... so wouldnt their union be independent as well? i dont know.. um just confused abou this problem..
    if you could help me out that would be really great :)
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook