• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Linear Algebra (Subspaces)

Homework Statement

Okay, this is the last True/False question I will post.

True or False:
[tex]\text{The set of all solutions to the }m\times n\text{ homogeneous system of equations }Ax=0\text{ is a subspace of }\mathbb{R}^m.
[/tex]

Homework Equations

None

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought the answer was true, but it is actually false. I know that in order to qualify as a subspace, all linear combinations of the solutions must present a solution that remains in that subspace, but I wasn't sure how to justify my answer.

Answers and Replies

Try to find a counterexample

I guess there is the possibility of the trivial solution. Is this enough to say it is false?

Is there a better way to think about this?

There is the possibility of the trivial solution but the question asks for the set of all solutions, not just one. Regardless, the trivial solution will be a subspace

Go thorough a few examples and see if you can find such a set of solutions that is not a subspace of R^m.

I've been trying to come up with a good example, but everything I try seems to be a subspace of R^m. Does anyone have a counter-example?

instead of just making up systems of equations and checking if it is a subspace, try to prove that it is a subspace (I know this isn't true). This will tell you which condition of being a subspace it fails to satisfy. At this point, creating a counterexample is simple.