Distance Between Nonparallel Lines: Linear Algebra Solution

In summary, to find the distance between the nonparallel lines L1 and L2, we can use the normal vector v=[6,15,-3] and find a vector of unit length in the same direction. Then, we can take the dot product of this vector with the difference between any point in L1 and L2 to get the distance between the two lines. This method involves projecting the difference vector onto the normal direction.
dangish
I already posted this once, have a hard time believing nobody knows how to do it, and it's due tomorrow, so here it is again:

Find the distance between the nonparallel lines,

L1:

|x| ...|4| ...|1|
|y| = |-1| + t|0|
|x| ...|3| ...|2|

and L2:

|x| ...|1| ...|-3|
|y| = |2| + s|1|
|x| ...|2| ...|-1|

picture the above as matricies, sorry i don't know how to properly make them :...(

Attempt at a solution:

The hint told me to find a vector orthogonal to both lines. so i took the normal vector of each line ( the three numbers after s and t ) and got a vector parallel to each.

The vector I used was v = |6,15,-3| <-- again picture this as a matricie.

The next part in the hint said take a plane with this normal containing one of the lines.

so I did and got, 6x +15y - 3z = d , then I subbed in a point from L2 to get,

6(1)+15(2)-3(2)=d ==> d=30

the equation of the plane is now 6x+15y-3z=30

The next part of the hint says "use a projection", and this is where I am stuck.

how will I project the line onto the plane? any help would be much appreciated, thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
You don't really need the plane equation. Take the normal vector v=[6,15,-3] and find a vector of unit length pointing in the same direction. If you take the dot product of that with the difference between any point in L1 and any point in L2, the result will be the distance. That's 'projecting' a difference vector between the two lines onto the normal direction.

1. What is linear algebra?

Linear algebra is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of linear equations, vectors, and matrices. It is used to solve problems involving systems of linear equations and to analyze and manipulate geometric objects such as lines, planes, and higher-dimensional spaces.

2. What are some applications of linear algebra?

Linear algebra has numerous applications in various fields such as physics, engineering, economics, computer graphics, and machine learning. Some specific examples include solving systems of equations in physics, designing electrical circuits in engineering, predicting stock prices in economics, creating computer-generated images in graphics, and developing algorithms for machine learning.

3. What are the basic operations in linear algebra?

The basic operations in linear algebra include addition, subtraction, scalar multiplication, and matrix multiplication. Addition and subtraction involve adding or subtracting corresponding elements of two vectors or matrices, while scalar multiplication involves multiplying a vector or matrix by a single number. Matrix multiplication involves multiplying two matrices to create a new matrix.

4. What are eigenvectors and eigenvalues in linear algebra?

Eigenvectors and eigenvalues are important concepts in linear algebra used to analyze the behavior of linear transformations. Eigenvectors are vectors that do not change direction during a linear transformation, while eigenvalues represent the scale by which the eigenvectors are stretched or compressed. They are commonly used in fields such as physics and engineering to study the behavior of systems.

5. How is linear algebra used in machine learning?

Linear algebra is a fundamental tool in machine learning as it provides a way to represent and manipulate data. It is used to create and train models for tasks such as classification and regression, and to perform operations such as dimensionality reduction. Linear algebra is also used in algorithms for tasks such as clustering, recommendation systems, and natural language processing.